[OSList] Accessibility in OS

Michael M Pannwitz via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Nov 13 04:59:14 PST 2015

Dear Sarah,

while structural stuff such as wheelchair-accessibility and the
provision of Sign Language interpretation might have  to be dealt with
before the event, I have found that the other things you mention are
very well taken care of by that which we hope to make more space for in
an OST event: the force of self-organization.

In practice, it took me a while - and it still does - to begin to
actually "know" of this force. In many ways, it is counterintuitive in
the sense that I tend to act too quickly on my assumption. Participants
have been a great help in setting me straight. And I have some stories
on this...

Observing folks in os-events I facilitated showed me how simply and
elegantly and tenderly participants moved with each other in situations,
had I perceived them beforehand, I might have thought up all kinds of
stuff... NOT needed and in fact "closing" space for self-organization.

The best way of dealing with the issue you mentioned, is to closely
watch how the sponsor of the event and later the planning group
approach that issue. They are not only in charge of the event but they
are very likely exactly the right people for the specific event they are
in charge of, much better in the know than I as external facilitator.

Greetings from Berlin
mmp