[OSList] OST: T for Technology

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sat May 9 04:52:06 PDT 2015

Greetings All,

I am very grateful for this story. I find it fascinating that social
designs are being referred to as "software" and "software for your head"
and than Open Space has been called a technology (on a presumably
'random' basis) during the decades this shift.

See also: book describing related "culture techology"
http://www.amazon.com/Software-Your-Head-Protocols-Maintaining/dp/0201604566

So interesting OST gets the "T" so early, and so "random". It's funny
how things turn out...

Daniel

On 5/9/15 7:00 AM, Michael M Pannwitz via OSList wrote:
> [...]
>> self
>> as we rise to be relaxed, beautiful and co creative selves….
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> toke
>>

>> Toke
>> Toke Paludan Moeller, CEO & process host
>> InterChange Aps
>> Stengaardsvej 5 A,   8600 Silkeborg, Denmark
>> VAT number: 1350 6035
>> Toke - Mobile  +45 2616 6919
>> Monica -  Mobile  +45 2072 1019
>>
>> Skype name: tokemoeller
>> www.interchange.dk <http://www.interchange.dk>
>> interchange at interchange.dk <mailto:interchange at interchange.dk>
>> http://interchange.dk/calender/
>>
>>> On 06/05/2015, at 07.02, Harrison via OSList
>>> <oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
>>> <mailto:oslist at lists.openspacetech.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Chris – You should know better than to suggest that I tell a story...
>>> But you did.
>>> It was 1989 in Bombay (now Mumbai). My friend and colleague, one V.S.
>>> Mahesh, a senior member of the Tata Administrative Service Corps, had
>>> invited me to do a series of lectures, in addition to an Open Space
>>> conference in Goa. How could I resist?
>>> At the conclusion of the several programs, Mahesh convened a press
>>> conference for the business reporters of India. This was rather a
>>> formal event, and in the way of such things in India, Mahesh’s
>>> introduction of myself seemed to go on forever. He covered my CV in
>>> detail, including articles and activities I had forgotten, one of
>>> which was a review of a colleague’s book entitled, “Global Management
>>> Principles.” This 725 page monster described the work of 4 management
>>> theorists under such headings as, “Primal Management,” “Developmental
>>> Management,” – and last,  “Metaphysical Management,”  ...and that
>>> was me.
>>> As Mahesh drew to a heart stopping close, he said... It is my pleasure
>>> to introduce Harrison Owen  ... and Harrison will you please explain
>>> to the gentlemen of the press what you mean by Metaphysical Management
>>> and Open Space...Technology. And he sat down.
>>> I think I could have shot him. “Metaphysical Management” was the
>>> invention of a colleague. I think I know what he was getting at, but
>>> it surely would not have been my choice of wording. As for Open Space
>>> Technology, that was, I do believe, Mahesh’s invention. “Open Space,”
>>> I admit to... as for “Technology” – I can only think that Mahesh got
>>> on a roll. “Metaphysical Management” was pretty cool. But “Open Space”
>>> was a little weak. Needed a tweak.  “Technology” might just make it
>>> into the titles of the next day’s articles.
>>> Mahesh was right. The Press took the bait. And we have been stuck with
>>> it ever since.
>>> So that’s the story... as best as I can tell it. But I think there is
>>> a moral. If we ever take what we are doing too seriously, we are
>>> definitely in trouble. What we “do” is really a joke. Truthfully, it
>>> all happens by itself. We just take naps... if we are smart.
>>> Websites
>>> www.openspaceworld.com <x-msg://54/%20www.openspaceworld.com>