[OSList] How much Silence at beginning?

Harold Shinsato via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sat Jun 20 19:24:32 PDT 2015

Dear Harrison,

I love your response in many ways. It's very confrontational towards
this need in me to have a formula of a specific amount of clock time,
and laughing it off.

In many ways, Anne's invocation of the trans-finite seems to invite this
kind of meditation. Thank you Anne for such an invocation of going
beyond the finite. How much time do you need for a deep silence? It
reminds me of the opening stanza to the William Blake poem, Auguries of
Innocence:

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

A deep satisfying silence of 10 seconds could be much more impactful in
certain circles than forcing an 8 minute meditation on them. For myself,
I have noticed many times my own butt beginning to wiggle considerably
even just thinking about having to sit still from a command from the
facilitator to sit in silence. During the retrospective meeting
yesterday with most of the organizing team and some of the participants
(everyone was invited), it was quite interesting to contemplate this
question of silence. Some balked at the idea of an elongated silence. In
fact one of the organizers hypothesized the opening was already too "woo
woo" for some of her University friends, and they walked out after the
opening circle.

And then again - I suspect for many circles - perhaps 8 minutes of
silence would have only whet their palette for what they needed for a
deep comtemplative journey together. Maybe they might need 15 minutes
before the session genereation. Or 30 minutes. Imagine an hour of
sitting in a circle together for an hour?!? Speak about eternity. I
wonder if such a circle might be empowered to solve the most difficult
of planetary questions.

Alas - I suspect there is no need for agreement here - or a final
answer. Just a question and a wondering.

How long a silence in the opening? How many breaths is a deep silence?
How does one sense when there's been enough?

Thanks to all who have engaged with this question!

     Harold

--
Harold Shinsato
harold at shinsato.com <mailto:harold at shinsato.com>