[OSList] How much Silence at beginning?

Harold Shinsato via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Jun 19 12:10:47 PDT 2015

Hi Anne,

Thanks for your offering. The most incredible experiences (and hyper
performance) of Open Space I am sure come from inviting the
"trans-finite", and not just the finite.

Although this isn't rote, I'm curious as to your experience of offering
this grounding exercise just after the welcome and the logistics. This
does seem like a natural placement to me, and corresponds roughly to the
point where Harrison generally walks the circle and asks folks to be
aware of the others in the room.

And at the same time, this doesn't specifically addresses the comment
from a participant of a need for some silent reflection time just before
people were invited to generate, announce, and post their sessions.

Would 8 minutes of grounding silence after the welcome and logistics
opened enough space for participants so they didn't need silent
reflection time with their papers and markers to gather their thoughts?
Do you offer anything before letting the participants make their
offerings to help invite in the "transfinite"?

     Thanks!
     Harold

--
Harold Shinsato