[OSList] No silence in opening

Suzanne Daigle via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Tue Jun 16 02:35:04 PDT 2015

Harold thank you for posting this. What great wisdom has emerged. I almost
feel myself opening space with everyone who commented. You brought
attention to something I didn't really think about, just doing it in the
moment as I felt the group though I'm sure I have my own ritual.
Once I remember a long period of silence as the host was waiting to speak
and people were settling in. I could feel the tension of people sitting
awkwardly in this circle setting, with posters and strange signs arranged
around the room, papers and markers on the floor. One woman stood up as we
waited, dressed very business like and with her purse held tightly, her
high heel shoes resonating on the hard wood floor, she walked out from the
far end of the circle to the exit, without a word or a look towards any of
us. No one ran after her. I could not know what she was thinking and
amazingly, the Open Space proceeded without a word being said about it. The
host welcomed the group. And I opened the space. I remember feeling a deep
calm settle over me as if feeling the pain of that person though I do not
know what exactly happened and also feeling the heightened tension in the
room. It was a group of 50, the marketplace wall filled quickly, the
tension disappeared, people vibrantly engaged. I still see them in my mind
so relaxed, hearing their intense conversations and laughter bubbling
through. Closing circle was like another world. Everyone so connected,
relaxed and lively.  I'm always struck by the difference between opening
circle and closing circle.
As for complaints, I have heard different ones over time, sometimes
whispered and not told directly, other times in the form of suggestions. I
have learned to let go as I realized that Open Space opens up deep spaces
inside people bringing up emotions that can show up in different ways (it
seriously did that for me). Many times people suggest things that they feel
could be done differently to help the process of Open Space work better.
Often I just say thank you. Sometimes I'll explain a little bit.
Suzanne
On Jun 15, 2015 10:25 PM, "Chris Corrigan via OSList" <