[OSList] How big is a circle with 300 people?

Anna Caroline Türk via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Jun 10 00:24:05 PDT 2015

Dear all,

thank you so much for your feedback and insights.

In fact it will be an outdoor event with tipis.
So it’s going to be quite an experience on several levels.  I love this kind of complexity…

- I will send pictures of the event when it happened end of July.

much Love
Anna Caroline

> On 08 Jun 2015, at 19:44, Michael M Pannwitz <mmpannwitz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Anna,
>
> forgot to mention the book "Meine open space Praxis, its in German, so this might be of help to you. In fact, it contains loads of pictures, several about circles. The one on page 101 shows the set up of concentric circles for an event with about 350  people in Magdeburg.... the one on the next page the Sevilla event with about 300 imams and rabbies.
> The book is available here (also as an ebook where the pictures can be zoomed etc.)
>
>> https://www.westkreuz-verlag.de/de/Meine-open-space-Praxis-E-Book
>> https://www.westkreuz-verlag.de/de/Meine-open-space-Praxis
>

> I have attached two pairs of pictures showing the circle set up without people and the same filled with people... the presence of people does not change the geometry but the atmosphere. And just that is often commented on: Never saw this room used this way, its inspiring (or other such adjectives).
>
> (The program did not accept this many pictures, so I am just sending one pair)
>

> Often, rooms are not circular but long rectangulars. Therefore, you cant have the outer circle circular but almost always the inner circle. The experiment with 300 attending works well with a diameter of 10 meters for the inner circle allowing 35 to 50 chairs in the inner circle. One might get the 2nd circle also to be perfect, and even the third and in very large rooms all 7 or 13. But often the inner plus one and perhaps two fill the width of the room. The additionally needed "circles" are then half circles added to the "perfect" circles in the length of the room (the whole thing than looks like an oval but with at least one perfect circle in the middle).
>
> Now, your precise question to the radius of the circle has a number of variables. I therefore made it a prerequisite to see the room before the event and actually would arrange a small segment (like  a pizza slice) using the chairs available to get a specific picture (chairs do vary in width and depth in such a way that with a crowd of 300 sitting in lets say 7 concentric circles will get you various radiuses or diameters for the whole arrangement).
>
> As far as the additional details of the entire set up is concerned I always insisted that everything is handcrafted (like the  facts of life, the law, the critters, the admonition, the directional signs, the bulletin board, the news wall, the overall schedule....) to look not only unique each time but also signaled: everyone can do this with simple means everywhere. And all this stuff is best done on the premises involving the whole team getting into the spirit of the event...
>
> Ok, now I see you on page 95 doing one of your inimitable bumble bees...
>

> Take care and see you (and every one else reading this at the WOSonOS in Krakow, here is the link to the details
>> http://www.wosonos.com/

> [...]

Anna Caroline Türk

berlin open space cooperative eG

hasenheide 9. 10967 berlin