[OSList] No silence in opening

Harold Shinsato via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Jun 15 10:15:03 PDT 2015

The Open Space for the Jeannette Rankin Peace Center
(http://civicrm.jrpc.org/rising-from-the-ashes) I facilitated this
Saturday went extremely well. We had a full day of sessions and high
levels of engagement, and the center's Executive Director said it way
exceeded her expectations.

After sitting in the glow of so many thank you's, gratitude, and "good
job" the day of the event and afterwards - I was surprised and quite
annoyed by a bit of feed back second hand through email...

     "there should have been a 5-minute or so thinking time."

     "Some people needed more quiet time to gather there thoughts."

As people become more familiar with Open Space, my personal experience
is that rather than a long awkward and anxiety filled pause as
facilitators worry if anyone will post a session - instead, especially
in public OST events, people launch and line up to populate the agenda.
This has bothered me, but this is the first time I've heard the
complaint of a *lack* of silence in the opening.

After my initial annoyance, and speaking with an Open Space colleague,
my wife, and another space holding professional, I wondered if this
weren't actually something that can help there be authentic open space,
and not just a cargo cult going through the motions.

I'm pondering a way to help there be space before people come to the
center to announce their sessions - but without doing some heavy
facilitated silence or meditation process.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

     Thank you!
     Harold

--