[OSList] Ken Schwaber on self-org & "control" in Agile adoptions

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Jul 20 04:47:55 PDT 2015

This is an interesting, short blog post from Ken Schwaber (Scrum
co-originator) on how to organize up to 200 software developers without
doing much of anything at all. For those of you with little Agile
experience, realize that most Agile adoptions do not ever consider the
approach Ken is advocating, presumably because of "too much chaos."
Instead, the Scrum and Agile is pushed, mandated, managed, imposed and
coerced, and teams, Product Owners and Scrum Masters are assigned by
"management."

https://kenschwaber.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/self-organization-and-our-belief-that-we-are-in-charge/
"...I pose the following question to Scrum Masters: “What is the best
way to organize 100 developers into Scrum Teams and ensure that they
select the correct Product Backlog items.”

"The correct answer is to let the developers organize themselves into
Scrum Team."

...ha...and...

"... Imagine the arrogance of a Scrum Master who believes that he/she
knows how developers should organize better than the people themselves."

And so here we can see how genuine OST and genuine Agile actually fit
together beautifully. I can't imagine why typical Agile adoptions are
typically not initiated in Open Space.

Maybe something to do with control?

Regards,
Daniel