[OSList] Periodic OST events: good medicine for typical orgs

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sat Jul 18 10:47:04 PDT 2015

Greetings,

Many of you know me because of OpenSpace Agility, or "OSA"
(http://www.OpenSpaceAgility.com.)

Some time ago we had a discussion up here about it. The specific aspect
of OSA we discussed was the fixed scheduling of Open Sapce events about
6 months apart, for example during January (after the holidays) and June
(before the vacation season.)

I asked others with way more experience about this. Anne Stadler's
SPIRITED WORK was cited as an example of a recurring-annually event that
just kind of matured and was finished after a while. Harrison pointed
out that a real issue is needed for a good OST event, and that issues do
not tend to observe any kind of schedule. Others also had good stories
and well-reasoned arguments, all of which convinced me at the time that
a regular schedule was a suboptimal idea.

That was maybe 1 year ago or thereabouts.

After working with Open Space in organizations doing Agile for the past
year or so, I realize some things:

1. Most organizations have issues that close space all the time. The way
authority is distributed and handled, various outdated departments that
have become sources of authority and are therefore had to remove (for
example the Project Management Organization or "PMO".) Add to this
policies that support what used to work and what's not working now, for
example annual "performance reviews" and the like. Closed space, as it
were. Closed space is very plentiful, and grows back quickly unless
something is intentionally done about it.

2. Typical orgs almost ALWAYS seem to have an issue of burning
importance that everyone cares about, if high-performance (also known as
"continuous improvement") is the aim and objective.

3. My current belief is that the people in the org will self-manage and
self-organize around the knowledge that an OST is coming in "not less
than 6 months." Once they experience OST (assuming formally authorized
leaders play the game all the way) then they learn to anticipate the
events and bring a rich set of topics of burning importance to the goal
of high-performance.

4. Plus all the other good reasons we have already discussed:

  * The event serves as a kind of initiation for new hires, part of the
    culture.
  * There is a good chance that regular OST events can become part of
    the culture, and not depend on any one heroic/charismatic leader.
  * The fact the event is coming means that everyone knows they will get
    a shot at bringing up some very awkward topics that need to be addressed
  * Periodic events tend to encourage the spirit of open space in
    between the actual events

In general I think that, in typical organizations, there is no lack of
supply of [burning issues of importance to the entire group with a time
frame for action of "yesterday."] Quite the opposite: there is no end to
the issues that need to be dealt with in explicit terms.

And so for these reasons I have changed my mind about this. Back.

I think typical orgs getting started with OST need to do it
periodically, at least once a year. Twice a year is better as far as I
can tell.

What I am seeing when OST events are scheduled (before they actually
have theme) is the following: this again assumes that formally
authorized leaders are playing the OST game well; that is, playing their
Host or Sponsor role well....

1. Issues of critical important do pile up, quite naturally
2. The theme for the next event becomes quite obvious, even painfully so
3. Anticipation by the org begins about 1/2 way to the next event (about
3 months prior, in this case)
4. There is no lack of energy for more OST in typical organizations

So for example, consider Zappos, considered a "progressive"
organization. They do nothing like this at all. No Open Space. They are
not even using Open Space as part of their program to encourage
self-organization and self-management at scale. They are actually the
poster child for what I am talking about: space is closing all the time
in typical organizations.

And so now my current belief is that typical organizations DO actually
need recurring OST events. At least for a couple years, after which the
program of 4 events (or so) can be inspected. Because, truth be told,
the natural thing to do is to close up space.

And a periodic OST event directly addresses this very, very  common pattern.

Daniel

203 915 7248
http://www.Prime-OS.com
http://www.OpenSpaceAgility.com