[OSList] Zappos Being Zapped

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Jul 17 16:08:49 PDT 2015

Sheesh. Yes, and...

..I did some consulting for Zappos in prior years. As part of that, I
know Tony and have taken some meals with him, some at his home.

In early 2014, I had lunch with Tony and some of his staff. A very dear
friend arranged the meeting.

The purpose was to introduce him to Open Space and discuss how it might
be a good tool for helping encourage self-organization at the Downtown
project (DTP) and Zappos proper. During that meal, I left him with a
printed copy of the BRIEF GUIDE, and some pictures of what OST in action
looks like. Not too much stuff, just enough to hopefully get him
interested. A kind of invitation as it were.

At the time, he described some issues with "holacracy" at the DTP and
Zappos itself. I explained how OST might actually be perfect given the
situation an timing. I left the meeting upbeat and thinking he might go
all the way.

It didn't take.