[OSList] First open space, advices needed :)

Chris Corrigan via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Jan 4 13:21:23 PST 2015

All good things from people named John!

My friend Toke Moeller often shares the insight that “purpose is the invisible leader” and I share that too.  Purpose can be stated and unstated, and like everything in the realm of complexity, is always changing.

In order for emergence to happen, it happens within boundaries, and that includes the emergence that later comes to redefine boundaries. My point earlier was that stated purposes can help a great deal AND you need to leave space for the possibility that any way you state it or understand, there is always a high chance that your purpose itself may not serve, or may be at odds with a different, hidden and often more powerful purpose.

This gets summed by my other friend Tim Merry who says “Culture eats strategy for breakfast.”  This means that no matter how clever you are or how articulate you are about purpose, goals and intentions, if you are opening space, culture will show up, and it is sometimes the more powerful purpose.

This is why holding space is often terrifying.

Chris