[OSList] First open space, advices needed :)

John Baxter via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Jan 4 02:37:12 PST 2015

I feel Chris like we have seemingly conflicting suggestions, but might be
talking about different things.

Reading about games recently (McGonigal's *Reality is Broken*) got me
thinking about goals.  And specifically, how goals are different
from purpose.

Don't know whether this will help but here goes.  I am only just thinking
this through so it is not well tested.

Goals are an element of a good game.  They are almost part of the rules of
the game, like an agreement - something that we buy in to as part of
participation.

The most productive spaces I have been part of have had a clear goal *for
that space *(that is understood and agreed to by all)*.*

I haven't used the word 'goal' to describe this before and maybe it is not
the best one, but it feels right to me to use a different word than
'purpose' which always seem in reality to be impossible to pin down.  I am
always aware that there is a broad web of different intents and purposes
and ideas that no individual will ever compute (even just those within
themselves, let alone others!), that will always be fuzzy.

Personally, having a solid 'goal' for a space is a fundamental part of
holding that space, any space.  It need not be written down, but I need to
feel it, and ideally it is as transparent as possible in the invitation and
for participants (part of the social contract of participation).

Cheers

*John Baxter*
*Cocreation Consultant & ​Co​Create Adelaide Facilitator*
jsbaxter.com.au <http://www.jsbaxter.com.au/> | CoCreateADL.com
0405 447 829
​ | ​
@jsbaxter_ <http://twitter.com/jsbaxter_>

*Thank you to everyone who came, helped or spread the good word about City
Grill!*
*Summary and links: cocreateadl.com/localgov/grill-summary/
<http://cocreateadl.com/localgov/grill-summary/>*

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 6:46 AM, Chris Corrigan via OSList <