[OSList] Open Space Everywhere and Anywhere

Suzanne Daigle via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Dec 27 13:23:57 PST 2015

Chris Macrae recently posted about the possibility of Open Space Bars which
could just as easily be Coffee Shops or Virtual Drop ins like what we
experienced for the OS30th and HO 80th celebrations.  So Chris YES to your
vision!

Chris also introduced us to Amy Chen recently. Amy was in Beijing with
Harrison and Ms Song a few months ago. A recent grad in BioEngineering from
the Hebei University of Science and Technology in China now living in
Washington, she was blown away by Open Space and is hungry to learn more.
It fits with her passion around innovation and powerfully engaging youth in
education and all of us in the workplace. Amy will be joining us at
International House in New York for the three days and there's a chance
that Chris might be there too for a few days. It will be exciting as there
will be many passionate individuals trailblazing in many domains including
science, education, technology, self-managed workplaces and more. Lots of
synchronicity at play as people show up.  Still time to register if you see
a possibility to be with us:  https://osius.org/peace-high-performance-2016

This afternoon Amy and I were on Zoom together...hanging out agelessly,
talking about projects and plans, dreams and more. It totally felt like
Open Space. Together we watched a presentation by Angela Maiers -- someone
I met recently in Denver, who in her own way is opening giant spaces in the
hearts and minds of students, teachers, schools and community across the
country. Angela had never heard of Open Space and as I described it
briefly, her eyes lit up and she quickly connected it to her mission and
purpose. Unfortunately she was already committed for January otherwise she
too was planning to hop a plane and join us in New York.  Angela and others
have mobilized over a million students across the US with their purposeful
and igniting message "YOU Matter".

As I reflect on what excited me the most this past year, it will be what
Angela is igniting. It has Open Space written all over it...in spirit and
in action. Boggles the mind to think of what's possible if we introduce the
simple steps to "sit in a circle; create a bulletin board, open a
marketplace and get to work" to what she is already doing.  When people and
communities start bumping into each other, the multiplier effect is
exponential. We don't even have to work all that hard. It just happens by
itself.

This being the season of giving, I offer you these special presentation
links as gifts hoping you will be as inspired as Amy and I were today.

   1. Presentation at the Business Innovation Factory:
   https://vimeo.com/91020743  <https://vimeo.com/91020743> (students speak
   at the end)
   2. The story of students and community mobilized from McAllen Texas, one
   of the poorest Metro areas in the US. A twitter stream, pictures and short
   videos that will hook your heart from August to  as late as last week.
   https://storify.com/angelamaiers/choose2matter-at-mcallen-isd-in-texas

Wishing one and all a Happy New Year.  I know 2016 will be an amazing year.

Suzanne

Suzanne Daigle
Open Space Facilitator
NuFocus Strategic Group