[OSList] Open Space wherever, however, whenever, with whomever as often as you can

Suzanne Daigle via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Dec 18 05:51:42 PST 2015

Thank you so much everyone for all your comments and contribution including
Helene, name of my late mother. We too are French.

Living through the chaos and feeling the intensity of what's described
here... at both extremes which seems so surreal.

Yesterday I was opening space with a small manufacturing client group, all
but one individual total strangers to me. It was in the far reaches of
Northern New Brunswick Canada: Inkerman Ferry. Population about 1100. Even
though it was not Open Space Technology per se, it was truly the 24/7 of
Open Space that is life.

Perhaps what happened there is the butterfly effect happening invisibly
everywhere.

A small group of us sitting in a shabby lunchroom above the plant around a
few old kitchen tables us, on some mismatched chairs. The depth, the heart,
the passion, the speaking one's mind that unfolded in our conversations
was like a beautifully wrapped gift.

Unknown it would go that way, not planned, just happened.

The world stage and all the hurts popped up (including Trump) and also
everyday life, passion and responsibility for their work, products,
process, co-workers and clients. What showed up too was the love, kindness,
big hearts and big time gratitude, ordinary people talking of families,
their community and work.

And to think that some who came in the morning thought this would be a
complete waste of time.  At closing circle, as the taking piece went from
one to the other, without any prompting, they vulnerably admitted as much,
saying how wrong and narrow-minded they had been. Big burly men, one in his
late 20's, the other in his early 60's, mill with tender watery eyes
expressing how worthwhile it had been. And then as natural as night and
day, multiple hugs followed in the room, at the front door and again as we
got into the car ready for a late 3 hour drive in the dark.

We felt as if we had lived a lifetime of hopes, dreams and values. The
president of this small company called it life's truths. Infused with hope,
purpose and connection.

Is this part of the  butterfly effect, the one that matters most that goes
beyond words, an expression of how strangers somehow become friends for
life which happens so often in Open Space including with us here

Surreal to feel such loving intensity amidst such demagogue craziness.

Suzanne

Hi Helene and all open-spacers out there!

After a long time of just lurking occasionally because of health trouble, I
am back again.
Right now from Maputo/Mozambique.

You wrote:
> But nobody can guess what proportion may give a critical mass in each
different circonstances, and it would be vain to try how to control that!!!

I agree, but the question of the necessary  “proportion of critical mass”
seems interesting and maybe observable in our practice of open space at
whatever level and dimension.
Maybe there are already some relevant findings in your collection of
experiences, maybe you observe something interesting with regard to this
question in actual practice.

Or maybe, as it often happens, the question could be refined in the light
of what you observe(d); or even redefined; maybe it is not a question of
“either/or"

I would be delighted to hear from you about this

Bernd

> On 10 Dec 2015, at 11:36, helene via OSList <
>
> thanks for all of this!
> we are trusting in unlimited love
> so perhaps we don't like to get aware of our limits (= inner limits
and/or OS limits)

> but indeed: if we invite very widely or even aim at "Trump-ists" and, for
instance, at a OS 50% of the participants happen to be,that sort of very
new participants, the spirit of OS perhaps have no chance to be really
present, so it will be no OS. So these persons wouldn't even imagine what
is OS!
> But nobody can guess what proportion may give a critical mass in each
different circonstances, and it would be vain to try how to control that!!!

Past archives can be viewed here: