[OSList] Inviting non-invitation

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Aug 31 13:40:36 PDT 2015

"Is it accurate to say that some self organizing happens by invitation
and some happens by coercion/force? "

Great question Lucas!

The [invitation] wall-poster you suggest feels wall-worthy to me, so
long as no one is obligated to examine it... or even look at it.

My turn to ask a question: What might a world "void of manipulation" and
"replete with invitation" actually look like?

Daniel

On 8/31/15 9:57 AM, Lucas Cioffi via OSList wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is it accurate to say that some self organizing happens by invitation
> and some happens by coercion/force?
>
> For example, from the perspective of someone who lives outside of
> Iraq, the way the Ba'ath Party took charge of Iraq through a coup
> seems like an example of self-organizing by force to us, because we're
> outside the system of Iraq.  I welcome some thoughts on this.
>
> Over the past few months (and working with Michael Herman for VOSonOS)
> I've seen that the spirit of invitation shouldn't end with the writing
> of the invitation, and instead it should be present throughout the
> open space. When someone posts a topic on the marketplace wall, they
> are inviting others to a conversation, not taking over a time slot
> (like having a coup and taking over a small country).
>
> When someone wants to be a "dictator" of their open space session, yes
> others can use their two feet and walk out, but that comes at a cost
> to the social fabric of the organization.  A better outcome would be
> that the would-be dictator holds a welcoming space from the start.  So
> I'd recommend that another sign worth posting on the wall near "Law of
> Two Feet" would be "Spirit of Invitation".  I think it's wall-worthy,
> do you?
>
> Lucas Cioffi
> Founder, QiqoChat.com <http://qiqochat.com/>
> Charlottesville, VA
> Mobile: 917-528-1831
>

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 5:07 AM, Paul Levy via OSList
> <oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
> <mailto:oslist at lists.openspacetech.org>> wrote:
>
>     I think the clue lies in the wonderful word "self".
>
>     We are the selves that organise.
>
>     Beautiful.

Daniel Mezick, President

New Technology Solutions Inc.