[OSList] Higher Education Open Space organized by the EU

Suzanne Daigle via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Tue Aug 18 03:29:37 PDT 2015

Inspired by this stream of conversations.
This week I checked in with a former client. It was a year ago that I had
facilitated open space with her team, an elderly care facility. In two
minutes, we were deeply engaged in conversation, she bringing me up to date
on the issues and challenges with her parent organisation. No issues with
her team now,  just appreciation, and a new perspective about each other.
You see we had opened space together and it had worked its magic. New seeds
planted to open new space with the parent organisation. It happens in the
listening, it has already started informally.
Currently in another conversation with a former hotel client who now wants
to open space with two other groups, potential clients of hers. We are
planning the first meetings with the leaders who know nothing of Open
Space. Her words, the results they accomplished and her passion will speak
louder than my words. I will simply listen.
Then another conversation yesterday with a new potential client in banking
who also does not know open space. Listening and engaging together, the
issues tumble out,  hope too, seeds of leadership sprouting out of him as
he shares. A brief conversation about Open Space, a knowing that we will
connect again soon, an email in my inbox when I get home saying thank you.
All I did was create space for listening, an opportunity for him to speak
out loud; and  in the speaking and engaging together new possibilities
emerge.
This is the work I love to do, opening space before, during and after open
space. In conversations that matter, with ordinary/extraordinary people
everywhere. So many issues, so many opportunities to be in life doing good
work with others. Reaching out to companies, to groups, to people I know
and don't know.
Makes me feel grateful to be in conversations and to see if I can help by
opening space with them. It's what I do, want to do and plan on doing for
the rest of my life.

I'm so sorry I can't be in Krakow. My first grandson born a year ago and my
daughter would not forgive me if I missed his first birthday. All I can say
is I would not be as madly in love with this work if I had not had the
privilege to go to WOSonOS in Taiwan, in Berlin, in Chile, in London and
then host in Florida. I made lifelong friends and learned so much from so
many. If anyone is sitting on the fence and has the possibility to be a
part, don't think twice, don't miss this opportunity. Poland will be
wonderful hosts to an amazing gathering.

With love from Florida,
Suzanne
On Aug 18, 2015 1:58 AM, "Hege Steinsland via OSList" <