[OSList] OST: Public vs Private events: apples and oranges?

christine koehler via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Tue Apr 28 10:44:07 PDT 2015

hi Dan

Maybe the difference does not lie in the difference between public and private events, but as Harrison says, whether there is a real « business » issue.

Let me give you an example : I facilitated a public OST event, sponsored by an ad-hoc collective of non-profit, to discuss the issue of the role and place, today and in the future,of non-for-profit organizations. The invitation was quite long, very strong , and reminded the context  to everyone : the lowering of public funding for more than one third within a few years, and also the number of jobs that the non-profit sector was providing and the danger they are now facing. Public authorities were duly invited (and came). Urgency was stated in the invitation.
Event was public : invitation had been widely sent, via flyers given hand to hand in the street or put into public places , but also via email of relevant networks.
And yes, the sponsor had taken a great risk in organizing the event, but it’s intention was clear and reaffirmed in the opening. And the follow-up (date and place) of the event was clear also even before the event started and announced at the event.
The event was a success : very very deep conversations,very few butterflies, people being really caught in their subjects.
One of the result was that they collective changed its name and form to represent more clearly the spirit of the discussions that took place during those 2 days : open, frank, direct and affirming. New energy was found to organize more discussions and meetings and they  did a few months later another OST, to keep that open spirit. 8 months after, they are still engaged in conversations.

It was a much better OST than a private one I had facilitated before where the sponsor had not committed itself to anything and felt personally offended when his managers did not dare propose topics. No real change was expected from the group, only minor ones, although the group had some real issues.  That was obvious .

Very good lesson for me, I learned a lot although it has been very painful. So now I do take the preconditions very seriously no matter who the sponsor is, whether the event is public or private etc... And , as Harrison suggests, I also avoid transforming a regular seminar (like a managers annual meeting) into an open space meeting, unless the intention is clearly to change the way they work every day.

Christine