[OSList] Thinking about hosting a future WOSonOS? Wisdom from Past Hosts

Lisa Heft - lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Sep 15 19:49:18 PDT 2014

Yes - thanks, Harold.
I also wrote back then about how I was asked that morning to facilitate that on-site process, so I did it the way I had seen it done in past years - but upon reflection I realized it was not the way I actually would have designed it for any other situation. So that turbulent process - which was people talking and talking and talking until the group felt a shift - felt comfortable to some and turbulent to others. And though it is not something I myself would design or do again, if I had the choice, I do appreciate that unusual experience of a ‘fairy circle’ and sensing and struggling and naming and feeling and then we as a group shift - it’s a unique experience.

I kind of like where the people who are present at the WOSonOS in this decision-making process - however it happens - are different people each year and some are the same. And that is interesting to me, a face-to-face conversation about what-ifs when several different wonderful things are offered and it’s felt that one option should in the end be chosen as the ‘main’ option. (because each of us can host an OSonOS any year in our country without any group’s decision). I also like how the WOSonOSs are shared across the world - how they move to very-different-from-the-last-one geographic locations, so each year it is more difficult for some people to get to but easier for some others to get to - as we share it across the world.

I did remember those other offers and invitations - and Christian’s, too, as I recall. I have also seen in past years that things change in potential host-peoples’ lives from year to year, so I always like to ask if anyone is interested each year, rather than assume an invitation “sticks” - it seemed as if there were offers but I may be wrong - I didn’t remember decisions at last year’s WOSonOS about those other years, just regarding 2014. I did know the China team said they have a whole community of people learning and using OST and it’s true that it seems best to host a WOSonOS when your local community-of-practice is strong - because that is the most people who come to a WOSonOS - local people + people who travel over land. With a few others sprinkled in who come from farther away countries. I think that is why that particular invitation stuck in my memory most.

Thanks again for sharing who invited last May, and for inviting this conversation.

May the conversation… continue…

Lisa