[OSList] Respect in Self-Organizing Systems

Harold Shinsato via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Oct 20 13:48:37 PDT 2014

Daniel,

The primary task of the OSLIST group might best be pondered by looking
at the closest thing we have to a charter on the OpenSpaceWorld.org wiki:

http://www.openspaceworld.org/cgi/wiki.cgi?EmailDiscussionGroups

Here are the first words [clear action verb fragment emphasis is my own]...

The OSLIST worldwide email list ... is a list for Open Space
practitioners and friends from everywhere (really)... perhaps the most
active and easiest place to *connect with the living Spirit of Open
Space and the OS community*.

[omitted administrivia links]

 From the very beginning (1985), Open Space Technology has been free and
freely available. But there is a cost -- that *we freely share what we
are learning*. The mechanisms of sharing are multiple including training
programs, public presentations, private emails and most especially in
the online community known as the OSLIST.

The substance of *what we share* on the OSLIST is diverse: technical
"How to..." *questions, philosophical meanderings, and deep feelings
from the heart*. And in many ways, the deep feelings are the most
important. It is from those feelings that we learn who we are, what we
are doing, and what the true value of this work might be. If Open Space
and the OSLIST were simply a technical approach to better meetings, then
we might avoid both the philosophy and the feelings. We have discovered,
however, that "OS as meeting methodology" is but a tiny part of the
reality.

     Harold

--
Harold Shinsato