[OSList] Respect in Self-Organizing Systems

John Baxter via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Oct 19 22:00:40 PDT 2014

The mathematician / scientist in me is inclined to disagree with the first
suggestion (self org requires respect).

Self organisation (in general terms) is not a magic thing that appears or
disappears, and it is not very specific to a mode of interrelation.  Self
organisation applies to organisms and ecosystems... down to a level of
cells and enzymes and molecules... where "respect" has no meaning
whatsoever.

For a very specific human example, a group of people with mixed levels of
respect for one another is likely to self-organise into groups that (other
factors being equal) optimises the mutual respect between those in
conversation... because we will use our two feet to find other
conversations if we don't have mutual respect where we are.  (This same
phenomenon operates perfectly well at a demographic scale, though we might
not value the result - segregation.)

Perhaps something like OST will only *work well* when there is respect, but
that doesn't mean self-org is or is not operating if it is not working well.

I am more inclined to suggest something like, along the lines of Alan's
comments; genuine conversation and generative human interaction require
respect.  The productivity of self organising human beings is likely to be
proportionally affected by degrees of mutual respect.

Does that seem a reasonable alternative?

The second suggestion seems pretty reasonable to me, perhaps even to the
point of being self-evident (based on my laymans' psychology).

*John Baxter*
*​Co​Create Adelaide Facilitator, Director of Realise consultancy*
CoCreateADL.com​ <http://cocreateadl.com/localgov%E2%80%8B> |
jsbaxter.com.au <http://www.jsbaxter.com.au/>
0405 447 829
​ | ​
@jsbaxter_ <http://twitter.com/jsbaxter_>

*City Grill— An Election Forum More Magnificent Than Any Ever Seen
<http://citygrill.eventbrite.com.au>!, Saturday 18 October 2014Connect with
your candidates, get your voice heard by joining with others in your
community, and Influence the future of the city*

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 6:41 PM, Alan Stewart via OSList <