[OSList] Respect in Self-Organizing Systems

Harrison Owen via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Oct 17 11:38:31 PDT 2014

Dan said: “... in human systems, there is no such thing as self-organization, whatsoever, unless and until "respect" is successfully sent, and successfully received, by and between the members.”

Interesting idea... There is no question in my mind that respect is critical to effective human interactions. But I am not so sure about it being causative for self organization. As a matter of fact I rather suspect that the flow of causation goes the other way. Or said a little differently -- Respect is a byproduct, effect of effective, well working self organization.

I am not sure how one might prove this, but over the years I have been blown away by massively hostile groups of human beings, who have spent major effort at being dis-respectful to each other, showing real respect for each other in the gathering, and that the level of respect seemed to grow as the hours and day passed. There are multiple examples, but the earliest one was a gathering of some 250 Native Americans, Feds and State and local bureaucrats. These folks had been given the task of working out the guidelines for the expenditure of something in excess of a billion dollars in Highway Trust funds for the purposes of building roads on tribal lands. They had spent 2 years fighting and the time was running out... the money was heading back to the US Treasury. As a last  ditch effort they tried a little Open Space. When they entered the room it was crystal clear that mutual respect was not a common currency. By word, deed, and body language they demonstrated how little they thought of their fellows. 48 hours later, they had their guidelines, but most remarkable to me was the level of mutual respect demonstrated in all sorts of ways, and verbalized by one Navaho Chief. In the closing circle he said something like, “I have known most of you for some time. And it has not been pleasant. But I have to tell you that I have rarely felt so listened to and respected as I have felt here. Thank you.”

Needless to say the word respect, or admonitions for respectful conversation had never been uttered by anybody, and certainly not me. It just happened, apparently all by itself.

Harrison

Winter Address

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, MD 20854