[OSList] Patterns of OST - to whom is this of interest?

Harold Shinsato via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Oct 17 11:31:27 PDT 2014

John,

Will you tell me more about your interest in pattern languages for use
in OST? Your question instantly made me think of the Group Works deck
that Chris recommended as well. It's a great set of patterns for working
with groups. A few weeks ago Tricia Chirumbole and I actually used this
card deck on the absolutely wonderful Open Space Hotline she hosts on
Tuesdays. We looked at what is needed on the Open Space List. I actually
picked it at random - and I think it's quite a funny *joke* what the
Universe revealed at 'random' back in September.

*Embrace Dissonance and Difference*

/Encourage your group to honour contradictory viewpoints, sitting with
the uncertainty and ambiguity this brings. Acknowledge all perspectives
as equally valid and explore them fully as needed, especially when
tensions are high and agreement seems far away./

Even funnier - we wondered what would happen after this embracing
process were completed. This is what came up at random.

*Playfulness*

/Invite light-hearted and high spirited interaction to exercise mind,
senses, imagination, and body, to engender creativity, and deepen
relationships. Playfulness may be evoked through structured but fun ways
to engage relevant topics, or restorative breaks that allow laughter
free reign, or may simply show up as humour./

But I think I'm letting the topics on the OSList start to bleed
together. Please do tell us more about your thoughts of how a pattern
language could help with Open Space? I'm quite interested. Pattern
language has made a huge difference in the sphere of software
development, and it's how I learned about the work of Christopher
Alexander who first came up with this concept for architecture.

     Regards,
     Harold

On 10/17/14 1:41 AM, Chris Corrigan via OSList wrote:
> You will find the group pattern language project interesting...
>
> http://groupworksdeck.org
>
> Chris
>
> --
> CHRIS CORRIGAN
> Harvest Moon Consultants
> Facilitation, Open Space Technology and process design
>
> Check www.chriscorrigan.com <http://www.chriscorrigan.com> for
> upcoming workshops, blog posts and free resources.
>

> On Oct 16, 2014, at 9:28 PM, John Baxter via OSList
> <oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
> <mailto:oslist at lists.openspacetech.org>> wrote:
>
>> Hello all
>>
>> My interest at the moment is to learn simply, who here is interested
>> in pattern languages and Open Space?
>>
>> I introduced myself to the Facebook group by asking who is interested
>> in pattern languages.  It seems to be kick starting a discussion, but
>> Artur Silva points out that would be better suited to OSList.  So
>> abracadabra, here we are!
>>
>> Artur referred to a (~2009) conversation on the "Foundations of OST",
>> which came close to the topic without being explicit.  I will explore
>> this sometime soon.
>>
>> I personally have a long-term interest in patterns for participatory
>> processes, and use patterns as a frame to extrapolate lessons from
>> OST to apply in other contexts.
>>
>> If these things are of interest I welcome a conversation : )
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> */John Baxter/*
>> /​Co​Create Adelaide Facilitator, Director of Realise consultancy/
>> CoCreateADL.com ​ <http://cocreateadl.com/localgov%E2%80%8B> |
>> jsbaxter.com.au <http://www.jsbaxter.com.au/>
>> 0405 447 829
>> ​ | ​