[OSList] Private vs Public OST Differences?

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Oct 15 06:33:06 PDT 2014

Greetings To All,

I notice that there are many big differences between
public-conference-type OST events, and OST events arranged for
organizations.

Do you also notice this? Maybe I am imagining this....just making stuff
up...

...maybe not. In many key dimensions, I experience these differences as
striking. Even disturbing.

And so I have been poking around inside the GUIDE (3rd edition) and I
notice that, in some spots, the implication is that the discussion is
about a public event. Up to page 18 for example, this implication is clear:

<THE GUIDE PAGE 18>

Working With The Client if you ARE NOT the Sponsor

"To this point I have assumed that you (the reader) will be the sponsor
and facilitator of the Open Space, and therefore */it is your decision
as to whether or not to proceed/*...(/emphasis added./)

</THE GUIDE PAGE 18>

My current belief is that having the same person in the Sponsor role
**and** the Facilitator role is probably a very bad idea for an OST
event /inside an organization/. For the typical public-conference event
on the other hand, this seems to work just fine. Kinda like a Barcamp or
Unconference....

Another current belief I hold is that OST is the essential tool for
creating "Development and Transformation in Organizations". It is best
suited for use in organizations.

It is interesting to note how the Barcamp and/or "Unconference" formats
seem to get the same or as-good results as Open Space, in the public
conference setting.

Not so inside organizations! In fact, as of now, I don't think Barcamp
or Unconference has any chance whatsoever at being effective in bringing
about Development and Transformation in Organizations the way Open Space
can. Something about the Sponsor?

Daniel

--

Daniel Mezick, President