[OSList] Opening space with people with psychiatric disorders

Anne Bennett via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Oct 6 01:41:26 PDT 2014

...curious about the differing labels (and constructed meanings therein) - disability is an odd one for me when discussing psychiatric/mental health issues - checking with my UK cohorts - doesn't this sound a little fixed? We don't have cancer disabilities (etc). Some personality, learning and cognitive disorders are pretty much intrinsic to an individual (autism, for example). Some diseases excite the pharma world and the neuroscientists in seeking a lucrative cure. Most mental health is a weather system really?? Psychoses are helped with drugs and lots of the smarter kinds of help including self-help. Neuroses are often the natural if challenging and often extreme responses to life. The fsahions in terms of language around this area change constantly - so how do others read 'disability' in this 'diversely and variably abled' world?
yours curiously
Anne