[OSList] Swarmwise; how to organise community like a Wave Riding Pirate

John Baxter via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Oct 15 17:51:17 PDT 2014

Hello Wave Riders

I've just finished reading Swarmwise, the tactical manual for organising
community like a Pirate (i.e. Sweden's Pirate Party).

Open Space methods are threaded through it, both overtly and implicitly.  I
thought it was an excellent vindication of the hunch that Open Space can be
applied in very specific ways to processes much bigger than single events.

I did have an initial reaction to how strong the influence of the
individual leader-champion is.  But I came to the conclusion that sort of
leadership fits the given objectives, and is no different than the sponsor
setting the topic in OST.
So a heads up, you may have the same averse reaction to ego-centric
language that I did... but please forgive it in order to see the wisdom
within.

Recommended reading for all Wave Riders: Swarmwise
<http://falkvinge.net/2013/02/14/swarmwise-the-tactical-manual-to-changing-the-world-chapter-one/>
.

Also if of interest, my notes
<http://www.evernote.com/shard/s133/sh/265720ee-aa87-4377-9508-d191d48a966a/3ad0177a6c8434e45420dba77f54ff61>
 (*not a permalink*)

​Cheers​

*John Baxter*
*​Co​Create Adelaide Facilitator, Director of Realise consultancy*
CoCreateADL.com​ <http://cocreateadl.com/localgov%E2%80%8B> |
jsbaxter.com.au <http://www.jsbaxter.com.au/>
0405 447 829
​ | ​