[OSList] The primary task of the OSLIST group

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sat Nov 1 10:47:12 PDT 2014

Hi Kári,

The various components of the origin story of OSLIST retold these past
several weeks are very interesting.

Googling "Anne Stadler Spirited Work" sent me here:

http://www.collectivewisdominitiative.org/papers/stadler_reflections.htm

A very interesting quote is located there:

" We learned that conflicts or resistance were a signal of something new
wanting to happen..."

Daniel

On 11/1/14 12:55 PM, Kári Gunnarsson via OSList wrote:

> As I have been told, the Os-list was prompted by Peggy Holman
> http://peggyholman.com/ and set up in 1996 by Murli Nagasundaram as a
> discussion list for the conscious self-organizing system and the Open
> Space Institute.
>
> Original there where two themes for the list-server
>
> "How do I keep this going?"
>
> and
>
> "How do I bring this into my organization?"
>
> There is also some connection to organizational learning; creating
> communities for learning and action; inspired, high performing
> learning organization; leadership and management; to stay aware of
> what has heart and meaning; changing the world; it also has connection
> to Anne Stadler Spirited Work.
>
> Here is Anne Stadler Open space Primer ...
> http://www.donellameadows.org/wp-content/userfiles/Open-Space-Primer.pdf
>

> On 1 November 2014 13:03, Alan Stewart via OSList
> <oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
> <mailto:oslist at lists.openspacetech.org>> wrote:
>
>     G'day Dan and All
>
>     In your response of 21 Oct 2014 to my post***Re: [OSList] Respect
>     in Self-Organizing Systems *you muse:
>
>     "I often wonder what the primary task of the OSLIST group is."
>
>     Having been a group member for about 20 years and having attended
>     five WOSonOS
>
>     I have a 'take' on this matter.
>
>     This derives in part from a statement of Pablo Picasso that:
>
>     "Our meaning in life is identifying our gift,
>
>     Our purpose in life is giving it away."
>
>     I tend to paraphrase this as '... our gifts ... is giving them away.'
>
>     One of the gifts I note in relation to 'the primary task of the
>     OSLIST group' is that of knowing of the principles and practices
>     of OST by the group members and our giving them away,
>     professionally and personally.
>

>     In my case the 'beginning' gift arrived, in 1994, totally
>     unexpectedly, in the post in the form of Harrison's original book,
>     about which knew nothing. I had occasion to experiment with the
>     process, as a speaker scheduled to present a few days later had
>     withdrawn. Which I did, after reading the book swiftly - and on
>     observing the response was forever hooked!
>
>     As my 'take' is quite long and somewhat personal I would not wish
>     to foist it on the LIST. And so I invite anyone who may be
>     interested in this to contact me. Whoever does ... <smile>
>
>     Incidentally, yesterday I facilitated a one day conversation for
>     the Australian Churches Refugee Taskforce
>     <http://www.australianchurchesrefugeetaskforce.com.au/>. This has
>     been established by a group of the biggest church denominations in
>     Australia to care for the wellbeing of asylum seekers and
>     refugees. This event was held in Adelaide at their second annual
>     get together and was to converse about their priorities in the
>     coming year. Several participants had previous experience of the
>     value of OST for such a purpose, which is why it was chosen. The
>     concluding consensus -- in my understanding - was through it this
> [...]

Daniel Mezick, President

New Technology Solutions Inc.

(203) 915 7248 (cell)

Bio <http://newtechusa.net/dan-mezick/>. Blog