[OSList] Clearing the shelves / Sharing the Resources

Jeff Aitken r.jeff.aitken at gmail.com
Fri May 9 08:53:29 PDT 2014

Harrison and Charles,

This is fantastic! What a gift to bestow upon the new generations. I
love the line "they will become entranced with the multiple unanswered
questions triggered by the Open Space experience." Happens to all of
us!

My largely intuitive and somewhat questionable PhD dissertation at
CIIS was a look at the worldview shifts that may occur in an
individual during multiple experiences of Open Space. Guided by the
beauty teachings of our dear departed Angeles Arrien, and other
indigenous teachers.

So I offer the suggestion to research Open Space as an INDIVIDUAL
phenomenon as well as the organization or group phenomenon which seems
the more usual approach.

A similar line of research was invoked at a recent event with the
student leadership team at Santa Rosa City College called "Leadership
Is Everywhere." What if Open Space may be considered a "leadership
lab" (or a "leaderfull greenhouse" if we exchange the lab coats for
coveralls.) Each participant can reflect on their actions during a day
or two of Open Space as multiple and diverse contributions to the
health of the system in which they participate - which is one
definition of leadership. The kind of leadership invoked in Open Space
is powerfully appropriate for the complexities of our age. And we can
learn to expand our repertoire of leadership acts over several
experiences of the greenhouse.

Very excited to learn what comes of this act of generosity, Harrison
and Charles.

with blessings!

Jeff Aitken PhD
San Francisco