[OSList] Open Space and Authority

Daniel Mezick dan at newtechusa.net
Sun Mar 30 13:03:39 PDT 2014

Hola Harrison,

Yes, and I join with you in the (current) belief that:

  * all systems are open and
  * all systems are fundamentally self-organizing to the core.

I'm zooming in on authorization, because I notice that when coaching,
there is always this sticky "authority aspect" in any problems that need
addressing. Authority always seems to be the central concern. This seems
to play out in self-organizing systems.

I do probably need to reiterate that what I am calling 'informal
authority" has absolutely nothing to do with the formal, hierarchical,
positional authority we are used to talking about. This is something
different.

"Informal authority" is your street-cred, the respect that others on
your team confer to you. It's the "informal, self-organized"
authorization you get when your team looks to you for leadership...from
time to time....in real time.

And so in addition to the belief that all systems are open and
self-organizing, I also currently hold the following additional beliefs:*
*

  * *Self-organization in a social system (like a team) is actually the
    act of self-management.* Management is a function, not a role.
    Manager-roles are obsolete, even as (self) management becomes more
    important than ever. Example: OST.
  * *Self-management in a group is the act of distributing informal
    authority in real time.* Authority is dynamically allocated (given
    and taken away) by the informal system in real-time. The informal
    system responds moment by moment to environmental change 1000 times
    faster that the best formal system. It is super-efficient. For this
    reason the “informal system” (the self-organizing universe) is
    superior in every way to man-made, formalized methods of authority
    distribution. The informal system wins every time. There’s a REASON
    for that: Higher, better, superior performance.
  * *All self-organization is self-management at the level of group.
    *Meaning that all self-organization in human systems is
    fundamentally about authority distribution*.* This means that the
    distribution of informal authority is going on continuously, in real
    time, all the time anywhere people come together in groups to reach
    a goal or accomplish a task. *
    *

If this is true, it might explain what is going on, in the Open Space.

Blog Post Link:
http://newtechusa.net/agile/authorization-in-self-organizing-systems/

Daniel