[OSList] A Salute to a Theatre Director and Open Space friend

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 15:23:42 PDT 2014

I just couldn't help myself. I met Phelim McDermott through Open Space
virtually, in meetings with the OSI - US institute and then in person at
WOSonOS in London.

Fell in love with him, Mathilda and Ridley.

A mighty force in the Open Space world opening and facilitating important
spaces in the world of Improbable and Devoted and
Disgruntled<http://www.improbable.co.uk/openspace/>to invite important
conversations around the future of Theatre in the UK.
Open Space road trips across the country that seem simply amazing.

And then there is his day job as a brilliant Theatre Director but don't
take my word for it.  Read these reviews from this recent five star review
in the New York
Times<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/18/theater/julie-atlas-muz-and-mat-fraser-reinvent-a-fabled-couple.html>,
another raving piece in Time
out  <http://www.timeout.com/newyork/theater/beauty-and-the-beast-2>and a
critics pick in New York
Magazine<http://nymag.com/listings/theater/beauty-and-the-beast/>--
all on his latest production Beauty and the Beast.

As if this was not enough, you can also check the New York Times reviews on The
Enchanted Island<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/02/arts/music/the-enchanted-island-at-the-metropolitan-opera-review.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0>with
Placido Domingo at the Metropolitan Opera. The NYTimes talks about "a
brilliant production team headed by the director Phelim McDermott (that
team that gave the Met its remarkable staging of
"Satyagraha"<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/arts/music/satyagraha-by-philip-glass-at-met-opera-review.html?_r=2>
)."

It's been said that Open Space is not a process or a tool; it's life. Well
let me just say that Phelim is one heck of an Open Space lifer and
facilitator!

Congrads my dear friend!

Suzanne

--