[OSList] Holarchy

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Wed Mar 5 13:53:32 PST 2014

For reasons I don't understand, the OSLIST doesn't like me L Refuses my
post. So I am trying again.

ho

Greg - I suspect we have a case of holacracy  and "Holacracy." The notion of
holacracy (small "h") has been around for a bit and has been discussed by
Ken Wilber and others as a description of the natural, emergent conditions
of an organic system, I might say self organizing system. The H was
capitalized when folks tried to formalize it and make it into an operational
approach to organizations - which is something we do. Zappos and others have
essentially mandated its introduction - which seems to me to be the total
antithesis of what I thought holarchy was all about. So I do believe that in
Open Space we encounter a Holacratic environment... power, decision making,
authority is distributed all over, albeit at any given moment it may be
centralized in a given person, but only for a moment. That is not what I
hear happening at Zappos. I am sure the folks think it is all wonderful, but
I do think they are working much too hard creating a system that can emerge
all by itself. Otherwise known as organizing a self organizing system.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org