[OSList] ASCAP uses Open Space and wins the 2014 CIO-100 award

Daniel Mezick dan at newtechusa.net
Sun Jun 15 05:42:35 PDT 2014

Thanks for the encouragement Rosa!

There is more news on Open Agile Adoption (with Open Space) to follow
shortly!

As a Agile consultant, I'm working with a division of a large public
company in Boston, and it's going great.
The leaders have started introducing Agile to the org using the Open
Agile Adoption method.
We had the initial Open Space in early March, and after that did 14
weeks of experimentation with Agile practices...

Now the closing Open Space happens in June and I'm believe we also have
a very big story to tell from this engagement as well!

Note: In both cases, I do not deliver the facilitation of either OST
meeting.
Since I am 'in the group' teaching and coaching and I do not believe I
can be effective in that role. Instead I function as the overall MC of
the OAA implementation (a designed passage rite experience) and
participate in the meeting as a member of the meeting. In this role
during the event, occasionally, I may even initiate some sessions...

Here are a few more links you might find interesting:

It there potential for Open Space to be abused during Agile adoptions?
http://newtechusa.net/agile/agile-adoptions-open-space-and-control/

Can you 'push' Agile if you believe in 'pull'?
http://newtechusa.net/agile/push-vs-pull/

Is Open Agile Adoption disruptive?
http://newtechusa.net/agile/imposing-agile-practices-does-it-actually-work/

Kind Regards,
Daniel

PS, If any here want to discuss OAA, or have a question, you are invited
to email or call me:
http://www.OpenAgileAdoption.com
203 915 7248

On 6/14/14 1:44 PM, Rosa Zubizarreta wrote:
> [...]
>
>     This is a quick note to tell you that Open Space is showing up in
>     the business news !! In a big way!
>

>     CIO Magazine has awarded Mark Katz of ASCAP with the CIO-100 award.
>
>     This award honors the top 100 Chief Information Officers and the
>     organizations they serve.
>
>     ASCAP is over 100 years old and has a definite culture. To shift
>     that culture, Mark Katz of ASCAP implemented of Open Agile
>     Adoption, a method for implementing Agile which encourages
>     dialogue and engagement.
>
>     Open Agile Adoption begins and ends in Open Space:
>     http://www.OpenAgileAdoption.com
>
>     Here's a previous OSLIST post about that:
>
>     http://lists.openspacetech.org/pipermail/oslist-openspacetech.org/2013-September/030780.html
>
>     " ... to really ensure that agile was adopted at ASCAP, *open
>     space meetings were held* where business users and technology
>     staff participated. Attendance was excellent."
>
>     "...*Open space meetings represent a repeatable technique* for
>     getting a rapid and lasting agile adoption. It's based on the
>     hypothesis that /human engagement/ is what actually powers genuine
>     and lasting agile adoptions."
>

>     Mark Katz used the Open Agile Adoption method with Open Space to
>     help implement Agile in his organization. He then turned his
>     passionate, responsible, /self-organizing/ Agile teams loose on a
>     big, huge, mission-critical, do-or-die development project.
>
>     And it worked. His teams were able to complete this big, huge &
>     "do or die" project very successfully!
>
>     In so doing, Mark and his teams helped move the ASCAP organization
>     into the next phase of it's 100-year-plus existence.
>
>     And as a result ASCAP and Mark Katz are receipients of the CIO
>     MAGAZINE's 2014 CIO-100 award.
>

>     It's all described here:
>     http://www.ascap.com/press/2014/0610-ascap-to-receive-cio-100-award.aspx
>     "...Executives from the winning companies will be recognized at
>     the *CIO 100 Symposium & Awards Ceremony*
>     <http://www.cio100.com/ehome/index.php?eventid=85676&>, to be held
>     on the evening of Tuesday, August 19th, 2014 at the Terranea
>     Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes, California."
>
>     This is a big deal!! ASCAP is the 1st organization in the world to
>     use the Open Agile Adoption (with Open Space) method.
>
>     And now, here they are, with great results, and recognized as one
>     of the most effective IT organizations in the world, by none other
>     than CIO MAGAZINE.
>
>     And Open Space has everything to do with that!
>
>     Note: Mark Katz may be attending the [agileCULTUREcon] conference
>     event coming up June 26+27 in Boston, to tell his story.
>
>     Conference Event Link:
>     http://www.agileCULTUREcon.com
>
>     About Mark Katz:
>     https://www.linkedin.com/in/markskatz
>
>     Regards,
>     Daniel
>

>     --
>
>     Daniel Mezick, President
>
>     New Technology Solutions Inc.
>
>     (203) 915 7248 <tel:%28203%29%20915%207248> (cell)

(203) 915 7248 (cell)