[OSList] Always a Pleasure To Open A Little Space

Michael M Pannwitz mmpannwitz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 02:54:01 PDT 2014

Dear Gail,

your report, including the comments from participants, made my day.

There simply is nothing better for spreading open space than having an
open space event... wish you a bunch more!

Wouldn't be surprised to see you in Belgrade!
If the Creeks dont rise and my creaky bones hold up I will be there!

Greetings from Berlin
mmp

PS: Did you ever see the Chinese Version of the Task Cards for Setting
up an OST event? It was produced by the colleagues in the Shining Stone
Community Action in Peking... as far as I know they "published" it and
it can be obtained from them (cc of this note goes to Hulu Chen and
Qinghua Song) .
You might also be interested in the Chinese (alongside French, Spanish,
Polish, English,German) version of "Practicing Open Space - Our First
Ten years". All 6 languages in one ebook (for some reason the Chinese
Version needs only two thirds of the space the other languages require).
It can be had herer:

On 31.07.2014 10:37, Gail West wrote:
> The time was right for a 3-day open space learning workshop in Shanghai
> with diverse group of corporate, community, NGO, education folks.  This
> included a full day of open space with overnight time.  Implementation
> began on Day 2 including an NGO CEO calling her husband and a staff to
> come to check out the OS room setup so they’re ready to do one in-house!
>

> Surprises (especially for participants) included: Competitors in work
> and professional lives fully engaged in deep dialogue together rather
> than holding back and observing; Providing positive feedback to fellow
> participants in the pre-work and practice; Open Space Technology was
> perceived as yet another tool, yet through this OSLW, several of them
> commented this is related to how to live their lives.  What really moved
> people is authentic participation not the facilitation technology.
>
> Several participants went out and did Open Space within the first week
> after the program
>
> *  Corporate CEO led an OS after a Zen trip with 20+ executives on /Life
> and Wisdom/.  Now looking to do other work for her companies.
>
> *  Open Space with a client in a tiny room. The OSLW members were
> consulted (on line) as to how to make the room open spacy for the event.
>
> *  Open Space with school children in their summer camp.
>
> Self-organized communities of practice started and continued after the
> OSLW:  Action learning; facilitator’s club; volunteering for NGO
> education; Learning/Practice partnership for OST formed; discussions on
> WeChat (like Facebook) were continued and co-facilitation opportunities
> offered;
>

> And 7 volunteered to translate Chris Corrigan’s book “The Tao of Holding
> Space” into simplified Chinese!
>
> Partcipant’s comments:
>
> -  Open Space is a meeting facilitation tool that evoke passion and
> responsibility - the art of facilitation where you need to be fully
> present and totally invisible
>
> -  Be aware of what is opening up and what is closing down in the process
>
> - A meeting that breathes is a group with vitality
>
> - Trust the inner wisdom of the group and shine because it is open
>
> - The real space to open up may not be physical space but inner space.
> Physical space is limited after all. Inner space is not bounded by time
> or space. We own the freedom to open up in this respect.
>
> -  A good facilitator for Open Space should be able to do three things:
>
> 1. Brain losing a sense of judgement of what is good and what is bad
>
> 2. Minimum talking time
>
> 3. No intervention out of worry or control
>
> -  I experienced “Less is More”. The facilitator can achieve with
> [...]

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49 - 30-772 8000

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 395 resident Open
Space Workers in 68 countries working in a total of 142 countries
worldwide: www.openspaceworldmap.org