[OSList] Naps, Camden Maine and Open Space

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 07:53:02 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

I've been a little less active on the OS list these past few months though
truly Open Space is a vibrant part of my every day life.

In May, I celebrated my 60th birthday -- unbelievably it was just 5 years
ago that I was introduced to OS. What a whirlwind it has been since.  To
mark this new decade I decided to do a solo driving trip from Florida to
Canada with stops and visits along the way.  Here a little picture book. I
stopped in Camden along the way and thought you would all enjoy these
photos most especially those who attended Camden by the Sea events in years
past with Harrison. Note the nap scene and pics of his awesome boat.

http://www.flipsnack.com/76EE6B7EFB5/fumfd533

My trip was a time to not only connect with Harrison and Ethelyn but also
other wonderful OS friends enroute.

*Here a bit of the flavor*:

I attended the Boston Agile Conference hosted by Dan Mezick -- 1.5 days in
Open Space with about 100 folks including Kevin O'Brien, Tricia Chirumble,
Harold Shinsato and others. It was terrific!

Then I worked with a Hotel client in a small town in Canada where I lived
for many years. Best birthday gift ever to facilitate an Open Space with a
diverse group of folks invited to create the strategy of their
organization.  It never ceases to amaze me what happens when people are
invited and included. From the awkwardness that is felt in the first
moments of the opening circle to the deep connections, high hopes, and
vibrant energy at the closing circle, it always seems a bit of a miracle.
And this time even more so.  I will never forget the head housekeeper with
her 30+ years of service who stepped into her leadership speaking her mind
and sharing her business and client service insights, standing up for the
cleaning staff, and typing her reports at the newsroom with more at ease at
the computer than most. Actions and initiatives were happening on the spot.
Nor will I forget how people's voices broke as the grown men and women
vulnerably shared their earlier fears and doubts and how united they felt
now as a team, supremely confident in their new future. I stopped at the
hotel four days later and was ecstatic to see that they had created a
Kanban board with a backlog list of their initiatives each with a champion,
an extension of the market place wall, that displayed their action items in
"to do", "doing" and "done" columns. Thank you Dan, Harold, Jasmina and so
many others for introducing me to this work. I had described the Kanban
board briefly to the Hotel manager and he ran with the idea.

I also infiltrated some of  Tom Asacker' <http://tomasacker.com/speaking/>s
concepts which I've been studying from his work and book "The Business of
Belief"
<http://www.amazon.com/Business-Belief-Salespeople-Fundraisers-Entrepreneurs-ebook/dp/B00CTSOG8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405953779&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Business+of+Belief>
.  From a business perspective, it fit beautifully with their theme around
meeting the needs of their customers. Just as the Law of 2 Feet invites us
to discover our own passions and desires which then drive belief and
actions, I mentioned the idea of "discovering THEIR clients' desires" by
imagining these customers sitting in the circle with us. It inspired some
great topics on the wall.

Then in Ottawa Canada, I spent time with Joanne Mantha who I met at Diane
Gibeault's Open Space training. We've been friends and colleagues ever
since.  Also introduced Joanne to Johann Gauthier of HRockstars who
resonated deeply with Open Space at the New York City International House
session with Harrison and Karen this past January.

And finally what a treat to meet Skye Hirst in person (the weekly Skype
Open Space co-host with Tricia). Stayed overnight at her home in Camden and
begged her to read some of her poetry, chockful with themes that are so
much part of our Open Space DNA.   I'm hoping we can soon host a special
"poetry reading" Skype call with Skye.  More on that later.

Suzanne

--
Suzanne Daigle
Open Space Facilitator