[OSList] Open Space classrooms

christine koehler chris.alice.koehler at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 01:00:38 PST 2014

Bary,

great story..

May I ask what theme did you work with ?
Did you chose it ? the professor ? the students ?

Were you supposed to show what OST might do ? which can typically be what a
university could ask for
Or work on a given issue with the students (like someone mentioned here :
welcome  integrate or half term "were are we now" or at the end of MBA "so
what about tomorrow"..) ?

Christine

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 7:39 PM, Barry Owen <barryo at comcast.net> wrote:

> Tricia,
>
> I have done exactly this with a local MBA program
> It worked so well that they didn't invite me back after the 3rd time
> because the School Administration was not keen on the turmoil caused by the
> students expressions of freedom and demands for change.
>
> My "Way" was simply to Open Space as if it were a 3 Full Day Event.
> This Time/Place Post-it matrix reflected what any 3 day event would have
> (Opening - Sessions - Lunch - Sessions - Evening News - Party . . . ending
> with Closing)
> The opening was normal - No difference than if it were the full 3 days
> Each time I did it, the groups of 30ish students posted @ 30 Issues
> We had time for 1 session (45 minutes) and had 4 Break-out spaces
> Then we had Evening News.
>
> At the end of evening news, I simply made the suggestion that they could
> complete the remaining 26 sessions at other times. What happened was
> unfathomable to me and the sponsoring Professor . . . The students
> self-organized and DID arrange times and places (Coffee Shops) and
> "completed" the sessions on the wall in a period of about 3 weeks.
>
> The topic all three times was centered around "Rankings of MBA programs
> and how their MBA program could improve their standings"
>
> The School Administrators were always invited but never showed up, and
> they had all the power and squashed all efforts by the students to effect
> change . . . I think the professor was ultimately forced to describe Open
> Space Technology rather than demonstrating.
>
> DO-IT
>
> You'll have a blast.
>
> Best,

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Tricia Chirumbole <
> tricia at mojocollaborative.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I am writing to request your advice and experiences with open space in
>> classrooms - this is for a one time MBA class.
>>
>> *the upcoming engagement:*
>> I have been invited to hold an Open Space style class for
>> MBA/International Affairs students in a Global Perspectives class on Feb
>> 24th at George Washington University (my former MBA program). The standing
>> theme of this class in the prof's curriculum is, "Putting it all together"
>>
>> *background: *
>> This invite was born from discussions I have been having with the
>> professor of the aforementioned class, about the opportunities of
>> introducing some Open Space and Scrum practices into their MBA program -
>> she is also the Associate Dean and involved in program development.
>>
>> My real interest was to explore opportunities not just for actual
>> classroom time, but also for other components, such as: The kick-off
>> orientation week for FT MBAs, Curriculum/program planning, and for
>> executing projects. My pet titles include: Hacking my MBA, and the Agile
>> Classroom.
>>
>> *the conundrum: *So, this is cool, BUT, I am concerned about the short
> [...]

[image: Christine Koehler, créatrice d'espace de Dialogue et de Coopération]
 Executive Coach, Médiateur
 www.christine-koehler.fr
 Tel :  06 13 28 71 38
  Fax :    09  72  32 36  65