[OSList] From linkedin today

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Thu Jan 9 08:27:49 PST 2014

I’m awake now (Thank you Michael). And Christine – to your questions and my thoughts.

“In a  self -organized system, how do you keep the organization coherent as a whole ?

How do you make decisions that concern the whole organization ?”

I think the simple answer may be, “You don’t (make decisions or maintain coherency). The System does – which is in a way the essence of self-organization. I think one way of understanding self organization is that it is the systemic response to a changing environment in order to maintain internal and external coherence... a complicated way of saying that the system wants to get along in the world in a positive fashion. Part of maintaining that systemic coherence is by making a whole bunch of decisions – none, or few, of which are made by a vote or executive dictate. A powerful mechanism in this regard is our old friend, “The Law of Two feet.” – I think.

ho

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

In a  self -organized system, how do you keep the organization coherent as a whole ?

How do you make decisions that concern the whole organization ?

Christine