[OSList] Barrett Values Cultural Assessment and other things

John Engle john at haitipartners.org
Fri Jan 31 03:47:24 PST 2014

Good morning fellow-listers,

I'm guessing that many of you are familiar with Barrett Values Cultural Assessment. Perhaps some of you are certified to do them and are part of the Barrett Values Centre network of consultants.

http://www.barrettvaluescentre.com/

At Haiti Partners, we just did the assessment and got back results. We did it in two languages, English and Haitian Creole for our immediate team and members of our two separate board of directors--a board in US and a small board in Haiti. We had 21 people complete the survey in preparation for staff retreat next week and then board and staff retreat in April.

Our leadership team is finding the process and results to be super interesting. We're really looking forward to it helping to shape conversation about who we are and who we wish to become.

On another note, I'm excited about an open space all day tomorrow with 70 members of staff--from CEO and general director to mechanics, janitors, etc of Hertz Haiti rental car. The theme translated into English:

My interests...
Hertz interests...
Where do they meet?

On yet another note, we just began another 6-month contract with Habitat For Humanity to have an additional 150 people go through our 6-month Circles of Change program, which includes Open Space. This is an extension of this project http://haitipartners.org/2012/12/good-neighbor-project-helps-habitat-santo-community-work-toward-independence/ where 300 homes were built and we've adapted Circles of Change to help the community create a home-owners association and establish democratic governance.

A good part of the focus of this new 6-month contract will be to get community buy-in regarding eco-sanitation project that GiveLove has established. Eco-sanitation is another way of saying composting toilets.

We're using GiveLove system of eco-sanitation at our Children's Academy and Learning Center project and it's working wonderfully.

Warmest regards to everyone from a crisp morning in the mountains of Haiti,

John

Learn more about how we're creating social businesses toward funding quality education.
John Engle - On the ground regular updates at http://www.haitipartners.org/the-blog/

Co-Director
Mobile: 202-236-6532 and 011.509.3136.6495
US Office:  772.539.8521