[OSList] Open Space classrooms

Tricia Chirumbole tricia at mojocollaborative.com
Wed Jan 29 11:30:04 PST 2014

Hi all!

I am writing to request your advice and experiences with open space in
classrooms - this is for a one time MBA class.

*the upcoming engagement:*
I have been invited to hold an Open Space style class for MBA/International
Affairs students in a Global Perspectives class on Feb 24th at George
Washington University (my former MBA program). The standing theme of this
class in the prof's curriculum is, "Putting it all together"

*background: *
This invite was born from discussions I have been having with the professor
of the aforementioned class, about the opportunities of introducing some
Open Space and Scrum practices into their MBA program - she is also the
Associate Dean and involved in program development.

My real interest was to explore opportunities not just for actual classroom
time, but also for other components, such as: The kick-off orientation week
for FT MBAs, Curriculum/program planning, and for executing projects. My
pet titles include: Hacking my MBA, and the Agile Classroom.

*the conundrum: *So, this is cool, BUT, I am concerned about the short time
frame (2.5 hours) and the isolated nature of the engagement.

I would very much like anyone's direct experience or insight on holding
classes OS style or holding similarly short, one-off Open Space
engagements. I know they are done, I can envision how I would do it, but I
still feel concerned that I may have jumped on low hanging fruit that may
not be the best format for sharing these practices.

For me, I can definitely see open space style classes and "agile"
classrooms w/out multi-day OS summits, but I see them flourishing more as
part of an ecosystem of principles and cultures being practiced, rather
than as a one-off classroom brouhaha!

All thoughts welcome - thank you in advance! :)))))

Tricia Chirumbole
Open Space Facilitator, Certified Scrum Master
Mojo Collaborative
www.mojocollaborative.com

571-232-0942
skype: tricia.chirumbole