[OSList] The Conversation deepens...

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue Jan 28 13:22:01 PST 2014

For the last several years I have been asking for, pleading for, begging for
an extended and deep conversation which starts with the premise that this is
a self organizing world, beginning, middle and end. Living fully and
productively in such a world requires that we think some new, and (some
would say) radical and heretical thoughts about management, leadership, the
nature of organization, power...and much more. Good old OST gives us a good
experimental base, but that is just the beginning. I think. And while some
might see OST as a useful "tool" for the enhancement of organizations as we
know them, in my view OST is a wonderful Trojan Horse, which, in a not so
subtle manner, blows those understandings and ways of working quite out of
the water. It clears some space for the new conversations to take place,
while simultaneously offering some useful contributions to the content of
those conversations. Some of these conversations are now taking place,
thanks to our good friends from AGILE and SCRUM, and more participants are
show up in some rather odd places. Our friend Claudia Gross (of Cairo)
brought the following to my attention, and with great pleasure I pay it
forward. Thank you Claudia.

"My second observation concerns hotspots of energy. What makes 2,500 of the
world's elite business, government and thought leaders in civil society
travel to this remote and (otherwise) sleepy small town in Switzerland? My
sense is that they come to participate in a distributed field of energy
hotspots. What fuels these hotspots? It's not the big staged events. It's
not the tightly structured panels and speeches by heavy hitters and big
names. There's a field of human interconnectivity that flows through the
corridors, lounges, coffee bars, dinner tables, evening parties, and shuttle
rides. It's like an inverted or flipped event: the formal public events are
just an occasion to get together, a backdrop; but the real event, the real
encounters and learning, happens in the fluid and mostly self-organizing
space outside the meeting rooms.

"

- Otto Scharmer in this article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/otto-scharmer/davos-mindfulness-hotspot_b_4671
062.html?utm_hp_ref=email_share

"In other words, just through the experience of self-organising, people
begin to question the need for traditional leaders, even if they aren't
initially doing particularly radical things with their newfound freedom."

taken from the guide to Constructive Subversion by Liam Barrington-Bush

http://roarmag.org/2013/12/constructive-subversive-guide-change/

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org