[OSList] When did you first hear about OST?

Lise Damkjær via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Tue Dec 16 22:47:49 PST 2014

Hi all of you!
I love to facilitate OS - I don't know the number of events - maybe 30-50.
Once in a while I write on the list and I also lurk a lot. I enjoy the
reflections and the enthusiasm. Thank you for sharing.

When I first heard about OS: In 2000 I was attending a 3 day-
(traditional)conference about the danish education system with some very
high status people - I was the new girl in class. I was bored and
frustrated - I couldn't get the point of it. They used a lot of words,
but I still didn't get the meaning.
One afternoon there would be an open space - and when Finn Kollerup
(danish os facilitator) introduced that you could choose your own topic,
I understood that I had the opportunity to choose a topic and to phrase
it in "my way". I did so prepared that nobody would show up.
What happened? About 10-12 people showed up and everyone of them had the
same experience: they felt the conference boring and sort of
disconnected from our lives - we had a beautiful understanding and
talked a lot and the rest of the conference we just had to look at each
other to confirm that we were not the only one don't getting the clue!

After that I simply copied what I had seen the facilitator do and did
some open spaces on my own - working all right. Later on I met Toke
Paludan Møller and Monica Nissen (danish os facilitators) and learned
about the OSlist - and discoverede that I hadn't copied the principles -
in some way they sneaked out in my first experience - since then I have
enjoyed to use them - and they are very much a part of my life now. As
Open space is - but thats too long a story for now...

Lise
Copenhagen

--
Lise Damkjær