[OSList] Who has facilitated at least 7 OST events?

Chris Kloth via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Dec 14 22:34:07 PST 2014

hmmm... interesting question that I am not sure quite what to make
of... over the years I have often thought of the questions of how many
participants or how many events as a little like talk in an adolescent
boys locker room. That said, I know the size question has lots of
implications in the moment when we are doing the work.

When people ask or comment on how small an open space I get especially
puzzled.  I guess over the years I have found my thinking (evolving or
devolving or both - I don't know) torn between

  - size being a function of getting the widest cross-section of
people needed to address the question(s) at hand in a meaningful way,
not necessarily the absolute number, and

  - doing work with clients in ways that embody the spirit of OST
without regard for naming every gathering "an" open space. (HO, what
is the Anglican take on "Wherever two or more are gathered in my
name..."?)

So, while someone posted that I may have held the "record" for largest
at some point in time, I can't tell you off hand how many was my
largest gathering of the right people. Also, while in the nineties I
think I was involved in about 4 a year of at least 30 or more, and in
this century I seem to do at least one or two of 30 or more per
year... so I suppose my number is over 50 and less than 100.

However, what I really value and take a small amount of pride in
(after all - they did the work) is the profound, sustainable change
that has occurred in a number of communities and organizations over
the years.

One of my early childhood education clients, after nearly 20 years,
continues to do OST events from time to time when a particular
question arises that they want to make sure to engage a wide range of
perspectives. People come from all over the world to learn what they
are up to. More importantly, I notice staff members who were not
around when I was there much more frequently saying and dong things
congruent with the spirit of OST.

In fact a few weeks ago the leader said to me that her biggest new
challenge is that her staff keeps organizing itself to address issues
on behalf of children and families without including her or other
supervisors in the loop. Because her lead agency is levy funded, and
some of her partners are very heavily regulated, she does need to know
that the work won't create problems in the external worlds. Her
solution is not to make sure particular people get included (although
they are sometimes the right people and included for that reason). Her
solution is to arrange professional development to help them put their
work in the larger context.

In the spring I will be opening space for a client who has brought OST
to every place she works and she is in another new workplace. Again,
the results of her work has had lasting significance... I recently
took my granddaughter to one of the museums the client worked at and
could see signs of lasting impact in what has not changed and what has
changed since we did that work together 15 years ago.

What I also think about is the power of opening space to help people
talk with on another differently. Ralph Copleman, Barbara Bunker and I
worked an OST for an industrial abrasives business conducted in two
locations simultaneously. Before lunch on the first day I witnessed a
pretty gritty (literally) guy with a pack of cigarettes rolled in his
t-shirt sleeve analyze a benefits question for an HR VP (who had said
to me earlier that this was the one issue he did not want addressed
and was not happy I would not make that promise). My guy was not the
only one to raise the issue, but when the company president saw that
the issue was important to people in both locations he acknowledged
its importance before we started after lunch. By the end of the day he
said he could and would do what had been suggested.

In another setting an OST on one topic resulted in the resolution of
an unrelated, long standing lawsuit among several of the participants
- a law suit that had affected many thousands of people suffering from
mental illness.

So, when I am lurking one of the things I most love reading about is
the profound impact many of you have had through your very important
work by getting the right people in the room, however many people that
is.

And even if you only open space one time, if your work made a
sustainable difference wherever you opened space then you were the
right person doing the right work at the right time.

--
Shalom,

Chris Kloth
ChangeWorks of the Heartland