[OSList] Who has facilitated at least 7 OST events?

Michael Herman via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Dec 14 08:26:16 PST 2014

i woke up this morning thinking about this game, thinking in a direction
similar to paul levy.

i am the nominal leader of a community garden now for four years.  my
management is deeply informed by my learning in and about open space.  does
it count as 1 or 4?

i once had a client who flew me in to facilitate a meeting.  we also built
a weblog and they contacted me a number of times, over several years, with
minor technical questions.  do the meeting and the blog count as one
together, or two separate?

i taught my grandma to say "ah," as she began the active process of dying.
 she then repeated that seed syllable, a one-syllable mantra for peace, on
every breath of her last week of life.  she never opened her eyes but over
that week completely relaxed her whole body.  was that open space?  what
about up all night rocking a tiny, sick, neice?

i saw some new neighbors moving in the other day.  our neighborhood has a
lot of old houses and everybody moves in and starts updating everything.  i
offered my tools and experience.  if they never take me up on that
offer/invitation, does it count?  what if they just look for me at my desk
in our front window, and wave when they see me, while out walking their
dog?  that could happen a lot.  must count as only once?  or maybe it
doesn't count at all?

what about three opening briefings, on three consecutive days of open space
trainings i've done?  and what about all the things that happen after an
event, does the original opener get partial credit for things his/her
participants open later on?

to paul's point, i can ask questions like this about almost every situation
where i facilitated a meeting in an open space way, and about many other
situations where i was not "facilitating" anything, apparently.  this is
one of the ways i understand that we live in open space.

my approach to training folks in and about open space is significantly
focused on the crafting of invitations, in the belief that if we make
enough invitations, over time, people, groups and good work are going to
show up.

i also focus on discovering all the different ways that whomever i'm
"training" has already been opening space in their own lives.  i don't
think anyone could come to this work without having already done it before.
 it would be completely un-understandable to them without prior experience.
 i think people ask for training so they can do what they already know/do
better.  so i try to build on and from whatever understanding they bring.

so this question of seven or more is not so easy for me.  not sure it's
even helpful.  i'm more interested in questions like:

1. when did you first hear about os or ost?
2. what was the hook?  how did you notice it might have value?
3. when did you notice that you'd started letting it inform how you live?
4. what has happened since then?  what difference does it seem to make?

and so on.  a new game?  the next round?  maybe.  or maybe it's just the
game Murli called OSLIST back in 1996?

michael

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://MichaelHerman.com
http://OpenSpaceWorld.org

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 8:47 AM, Eva P Svensson via OSList <