[OSList] What would a harvest from a long OSList discussion look like?

Chris Kloth chris.kloth at got2change.com
Mon Aug 11 13:34:11 PDT 2014

I have been slow to respond to the "harvest" thread because I had
rotator cuff surgery two weeks ago and now I can only keyboard with
one hand... so please be patient if typos and syntax are awkward.

That said, what I found most engaging about the earlier thread was the
blend of inquiry, connectivity, dissonance, links to other bases of
experience (aka - models) on deeper and broader planes, etc. than I
have seen in a while.

I know there has been lots of good stuff over the years, and I know
much/most of it is accessible in the cloud. For some reason this
thread seemed especially rich... less about OST methods or comparative
methodologies... more about underlying beliefs about people and
systems filtered through the lenses of experience.

Probably a reflection of my advanced age, I kept thinking somewhere in
here is a book. While I love my hard copy books, I'm not as attached
to the paper as I am to the idea of a document or other text-based
tool that makes me uncomfortable.

I love all of Harrison's books, but after my first OST 20+ years ago
they have never made me uncomfortable. As I have continued to use OST
as a significant part of my work each book helped me develop of deeper
understanding of my experience and potential, which extended my
comfort level at using OST in settings people told me could never deal
with it. While I was tested early, I have yet to find such a group.

As I was preparing to go to the hospital I found some of the
observations and questions in the last thread were troubling me... in
a good way. They challenged me to test my assumptions about
differentiation, integration and alignment with respect to various
assertions about the best and worst in people and systems, as well as
the cultural contexts of some of the observations. I found myself
calling up Chris Argyris's Ladder of Inference to sort out some of my
own reactions and to frame questions I was curious about.

I also found myself struck by my reactions to various expressions and
assertions about the role embedded in terms like facilitator, host,
convener, consultant and the fantasies related to power and control
when people react to or coach on how "best" to carry out that role...
whether that might refer to one right way or how to choose among
options based on diverse settings. I found myself wondering about the
extent to which the manner in which people (including myself) express
what makes sense is a projection, taps into a deeper truth, both or
something else.

I'm not quite sure where else to take this ramble, but the meds are
kicking in so I better stop now.

--
Shalom,

Chris Kloth