[OSList] Management and Organization

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sun Aug 3 08:31:39 PDT 2014

Rosa said – “Of course we work too hard, Harrison. Yet we have a lot of fun doing it! :-)” Rosa, God forbid that I become a Kill-Joy! Fun is fun and I am all or it. It is also true that what’s fun for some is perceived differently by others. Golf, for example is the funnest thing in the world for millions. Personally, I have never been able to generate much enthusiasm for whacking a small white ball, but there you go.

But I think the conversation here may need to go to some other levels – starting with the question, “Why do we do what we do?” Certainly I would hope that we enjoy what we are doing. I certainly do. But my personal enjoyment (fun) would not be my primary reason for my efforts. I would hope, as I am sure you do too, that my efforts would yield some good. At the very least that they would do no harm. And further that these efforts might accomplish their task in the safest and most effective manner.

Some years ago I found myself in deep conversation with a precocious 10 year old. We were solving most of the problems of the world, as only a 10 year old can – when she paused, looked me in the eye, and asked, “What do you do?” I tried to explain to the best of my ability how I endeavored to help organizations, and the people who constituted them to be more healthy, productive, and useful.  She listened patiently... and then said, “Oh I see. You are a doctor for organizations.” Truthfully, I’d never quite thought of it that way, but if it worked for her, it worked for me.

Putting aside whatever difficulties I may have with the so called “medical model of consulting,” which are several ... in this case I think the analogue may be apt. The job of the physician is to enable people to “get their life back.” In pursuit of this goal, they use (or should use) the safest, simplest, most effective means, and once the objective has been achieved, they leave. To use methods of treatment that are known to be less effective than alternatives, is at the very least sloppy medicine, and at worst fraud.

Applying the same template to our situation can be instructive, I think. Speaking just for myself, I will say that if I knew of any other approach to the enhancement of organizational life (getting their life back) other that Open Space, I would be the first to use it. Frankly, I don’t know of any, and I have looked hard, but nothing can approach the ease of use, economy of effort, or effective result to be found in Open Space. That is a pretty blank statement, and it may well be true that there is “something” out there – which would just wonderful. But I have yet to see it.

Over the years I have worked with groups large and small who have been treated to the very best practices of the times. They have been Quality Circled, Process Engineered, Sig Sevened, and still life as they wanted it remained beyond their grasp. Then, perhaps by desperation, they found themselves in Open Space – and as one AT&T executive mumbled – Magic! I don’t think it was magic at all. It is simply what happens when people accept the invitation to be fully what they are. Seems to work every time.

Did it last? In most cases, No. And the reason, as I see it is quite simple. Having experienced a burst of life, they made the choice (actively or passively) to return to the same conditions that got them in trouble in the first place. They simply forgot the old dictum that if you do more and more of what you’ve always done – you will definitely get more of the same. Yes it is true that some of these organization thought to “capture the Open Space experience.” This usually meant creating the Open Space Model of Organization, replete with all the appropriate rules, positions, policies, and procedures. And guess what, after a time, short or long, they found themselves right back where they started. Maybe even worse because they were now burned twice.

Organizing a self organizing system is not only an oxymoron it simply doesn’t work. But more importantly, there is no reason to try. The emergent system is already there, operating at a level of complex interaction that totally boggles the human mind, even very bright, well trained minds. Under the circumstances, rational analysis is always interesting, and may even be fun (I always thought so), but I think a better place to start is with some deeply appreciate non-knowing. With that as a starting point I do believe that the way will emerge. It always has.

Harrison

Winter Address

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, MD 20854