[OSList] Has anyone noticed a rise in CONFLICT from OS systems

Michael M Pannwitz mmpannwitz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 23:57:47 PDT 2014

Yes, Tania, and I will probably remember it the rest of my time on this
planet.
It was the first os event that I facilitated. Three days, the whole
enchilada for a client I had been working with for several years
("traditional" consulting).
The whole company participated (a small outfit of about 30 folks but a
big numer in its field of enterprise) except for one person (one of the
original founders).
The event was a huge success. Lots of enthusiasm and lots of very clear
actions agreed upon.
Two days after everyone had returned to Berlin, the CEO fired everyone
and dissolved the company because some of the employess had begun to
organise a workers council (a very common and completely acceptable
thing to do, actually mandated by law for outfits with more than 20
folks on their payroll).
I was flabbergasted... not only because it was a very successful enterprise.
It seems, yes, I dont really know what actually happened, but it seems
that a "dead moose in the basement", as the Canadians say, finally
pervaded the whole outfit.
A long ignored or suppressed conflict surfaced. It was out in the open
for everyone to see and the CEO reacted violently to it.
Well, leave it to the forces of selforganisation that tend to expand
their playing field to put the moose right on the table.

Much later, a similar thing happened in an active and also successful
neighborhood organisation where the founders were confronted with
changes in the environment that they were trying to deal with in their
traditional manner, having to face internal opposition from the "next"
generation. Lots of conflict arose, open fighting in breakout sessions
with the result of some folks quitting (overdue perhaps).

Finally, Harrison might remember this better than me, a gathering of 300
of the most important and sage immams and rabbies from all over the
world was under heavy control by the sponsoring group. As things seemed
not to run too well (in the non-ost part of the conference), the sponsor
decided to have the ost part start much sooner than originally planned.
I remember our team and some 30 folks from the hotel in Sevilla
rearranging the entire setting from traditional to circle... after that
was really going well, the sponsor decided to interrupt the ost part and
return to traditional. Seemed like a mess, strangely enough the
participants played along nicely... I had never seen such a strategy
before on the part of the sponsor: avoid conflict, invite conflict,
disliking chaos in its juciest phase and returning to controlling order.

Seems, I never closely looked at this phenomenon you speak to in your
question but as I go through these events I realise that conflicts
getting on the table or showing their real depth is a recurrent
manifestation in multiple day ost-events.

Curious to hear from others...

Have a great day in Brisbane
Greetings from Berlin
mmp