[OSList] Open Space and Boundaries

David Osborne dosborne at change-fusion.com
Mon Apr 7 09:26:05 PDT 2014

Harrison,

I think this is one of the few times I have a different point of view that
you. I believe OS's have natural containers built in. I also believe you
need a container for open space to be effective. I think the difference
stems from having a different definition or viewpoint on what a container
is and can be. My view has been heavily influenced by Glenda Eoyang's
theory and work in this area. For something new to emerge from self
organization something has to hold our bind the diverse agents together for
them to have exchanges across their differences.

- The room or space the OS is being held in is a container.
- A concept or idea that people care about brings the people
together.....it binds or contains them creating the space to have the
conversations to emerge.
- The bulletin board is a container.....scheduling a specific conversation
at a specific place and time.

In my experience there are always multiple containers that are massively
intertwined.

My thoughts along the way.

David

David Osborne