[OSList] (was) Open Space in schools - now: OST boundaries? constraints?

Jamie Colston jamiecolston at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 30 15:37:49 PDT 2013

Thank you for all your comments. It is interesting how easy it is to move
from my natural state of  openess and emergence to the tight boundaries and
structures of a school setting. I have four roles in this job: A
Facilitator, Programme designer. Trainer and Mentor/Coach to young people.
I am therefore exceptionally grateful to have this list to share on.
Just as an update, today, I was part of a group of young people and a
parent governor who were trained in graphic recording which will be the new
standard way for students to record meetings, gatherings and open spaces
throughout the year. We have a confirmed date for the open space now of
15th October and I have just completed the invite which I have sent to the
young leaders for their input and collaborative thoughts. If anyone on this
list would be willing to have a look I would be grateful for any
professional thoughts as well.
My next steps are to spend the week before the event meditating and reading
the book and watching some inspiring open spaces on Youtube to get back
into the swing of facilitating again.
I do not know yet whether i will use many words or few but I definately
have a sense of the energy I hold within me that can open space and then
get out of the way!
Thanks again

Jamie

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Lisa Heft <lisaheft at openingspace.net>wrote:

> Dan - I have taken the liberty of adjusting the title of this topic to
> more closely fit the changed content.
>
> And: I look forward to hearing how others respond…
>
> 1/ I see the Law and Principles and *invitations* not as constraints.
>
> 2/ And not 'required' as in - some of us do not use the 5th Principle at
> all. However, the saying, inviting and simple explanation of these
> invitations help to create the structure (as there is a structure, just not
> the structure that a lot of people have experienced in meetings) / to
> create the container. What I mean by that is that I have observed that to
> not offer the invitation of the principles and law (even in a group of
> people who completely know and do Open Space) is not inviting presence and
> possibility in the same way. So different dynamics then occur.
>
> And in saying that offering these invitations and explaining this process
> help to create the container, I mean a living, breathing, nutrient-rich
> container, perhaps similar to some containers like cellular walls, a bird's
> nest, a lake, a poem, or a wisp of vapor… which have some form within which
> there is flow.
>
> 3/ I notice that some super-good OST facilitators can use more words to
> explain things, and some use less. And the experience can be amazing. In my
> observation, it is not the amount of words, it is the complete true
> understanding of inviting Opening Circle and agenda co-creation (which
> include a brief explanation of principles and law and process), and getting
> / staying out of the way so the participants can do their own work, see
> their own patterns, feel their own co-leadership, and so on.
>
> What do others think?
>
> Lisa
>
> On Sep 29, 2013, at 10:53 PM, Daniel Mezick <dan at newtechusa.net> wrote:
>
>  Lisa says:
> "...
> The other thing is that for any kind of facilitation, I would not name
> boundaries or constraints. It sets peoples' minds in the framework of
> boundaries and constraints - rather than opportunities and possibilities.
> Like 'think outside the box' - you are still thinking…of the box! when /
> because someone says that. "
>
> Dan says:
> I notice that:
> 1/  the 1 Law and 5 Principles of OST are constraints-in-fact. Are they
> not?
> 2/ we are required to describe these as OST Facilitators; at least,
> according to the OST Guide. Right?
> 3/ the general idea for the Facilitator is, "the less said the better".
> No?
>
> I think OST is a most wonderful game.
> http://newtechusa.net/agile/how-games-deliver-happiness-learning/
>
> Dan

*Jamie Colston*

Enabling young people to design inspiring events and host conversations
that matter to them, empowering them to find their voice and take practical
action towards creating a sustainable, peaceful and equitable world.

*M: *07909 442006 *E: *jamiecolston at gmail.com* *

*FB/Linked In/Skype:* Jamie Colston  *Twitter*: spearthwarrior

*Nowhere ecl  www.now-here.com/ecl*

*Green Vision Movement  www.greenvisionmovement.org*

**** <http://www.bathamptoncsa.wordpress.com/>* *