[OSList] Open Space with Agile: Failure patterns

Diane Gibeault diane.gibeault at rogers.com
Thu Sep 26 17:19:52 PDT 2013

Hello everyone,

This topic is vibrant with questions and exploration!  Like others, I believe the values of OS and Agile have commonality and a strength that keep life, dialogue and high performance flowing in the communities of practice like they do with any organization or person who experience "open process".

Similar good discussions occurred about combining the method part of other approaches, for example OS and Appreciative Inquiry. The Nov.2004 edition of the AI
Practitioner magazine, to which Harrison, Peggy, myself and 14 others provided articles, gives examples of combining OS-AI in certain situations, of keeping the process as open as possible and points to factors to consider.

When a choice is made for some reason to combine approaches, how much of the mechanics to keep or how to integrate them seems to depend on the context. If attention is paid to the particulars of the situation and an effort is made to create room as much as possible for people, chances increase that we can do things "more naturally" with a greater likelihood of attaining success and satisfaction.

I look forward to more exchanges when we hear from your perspective Dan about ways to fail (and presumably ways to avoid failing) with OS within Agile and within Open Agile Adoption technique which integrates both OS and Agile as well as about "forces that oppose Agile and Agile Adoption".

And yes, happily, thinking keeps on evolving.

Cordially,

Diane

>________________________________

    certain warning about specific failure patterns I have experienced
    when working with Open Space inside Agile adoptions. I can tell you
    right now that Open Space by itself is not a panacea for the complex
    problems associated with Agile adoption.

>Agile is actually a cover story about the wider act of bringing
    culture change (a new and unfamiliar game) to an enterprise
    situation (the old story we all want to cling to). The SPIRIT book
    pretty much spells out the problem.

>I've learned that there are actually more ways to fail with Open
    Space in Agile adoptions than there are ways to succeed. There are
    many ways to stumble when trying this. I'll be enumerating some of
    these subtle Agile-related pitfalls and traps in the Paris keynote
    on Tuesday, and in upcoming blog posts. Simply holding one or more
    canonical Open Space meetings (with full pre-planning and post
    processing) is not enough to neutralize the forces that oppose
    healthy and well Agile adoptions. The game mechanics, storytelling
    and passage-rite-structure elements must be present and robust for
    Open Space to be an effective tool in Agile adoptions. Open Space
    and these elements are composed in harmony with each other in the
    Open Agile Adoption technique.

>If you offer training in Open Space for Facilitators and/or
    Sponsors, I invite you to send me your links and I will make sure
    they are added to the list of resources I am beginning to compile at
    OpenAgileAdoption.com. I plan to list in the Paris slides some
    specific French-language OST course offerings from French-speaking
    instructors located in Europe, and Quebec.