[OSList] Open Space with Agile: Failure patterns

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 01:40:18 PDT 2013

Harold,

Yes beautiful indeed.  And I know Harold that I am in the right place –that
we are in the right place, part of this amazing community.  I am loving
this discussion!

I feel as if I have lived a lifetime this past week and what’s written in
this post gives me serious pause about Open Space and what it has meant for
me.  Now I live my life more fully and deeply within myself and with
others. Greater compassion, more peace, a quiet serenity, humor and such
deep gratitude! Almost seems like a religious experience, yet it’s not what
I feel it to be. How can I ever describe the internal stirrings that Open
Space awakened or reawakened in me, the confidence, the sense of purpose,
the courage, the joy!  I know it is the same for many others.

A tool? A process? A way of being? High performance?  These words seem so
inadequate. All I know is that I am not the same person that I used to be.

Ten days ago in New York City, I completed my Scrum Master training with
Devon Morris. Then I facilitated the Agile conference (350 technology
folks) and right after, went to Paris to the Scrum Alliance conference
(close to 400 attendees).   I was a participant this time.

Reading Harrison’s post, thinking about what Dan Mezick is igniting,
reflecting on the Open Spaces I experienced, I wonder:  “Am I still chasing
the bucket of gold at the end of the rainbow?” The solutions, the answers.

About three years ago, I determined that Scrum, Agile, Kanban, seemed like
a good fit with Open Space… from emergence to convergence with execution
and action using Agile processes and tools.  Harrison had facilitated a
large group at a Scrum Alliance conference in Orlando in 2010; I helped at
the newsroom.  I felt drawn to all the wonderful geeks I met; I saw the
passion they had for their work; their devotion to continuous improvement,
their commitment to shared leadership and their great spirit of play.  I
felt this to be sadly lacking in many corporate functional silos as
evidenced by the high employee disengagement.

I surmised that by combining the Agile/Scrum tools and processes with Open
Space (both seeped with similar values and principles), maybe we could make
a dent in that ole industrial hierarchical model of work.  Perhaps we could
ignite a Workplace Revolution with Millennials, Baby Boomers and others –
by collaborating our two communities together.

Guilty as charged. I realize that I’m still chasing the answers and perhaps
missing the point. Imagining an outcome and planning strategies around it.  Not
to say that this is bad, cause in the end, I want to tackle those big
urgent and complex issues in the world of work with others. But somehow,
the magic is not in that busy journey, it’s in the quietness like the
feeling we get where we're opening and holding space.

Three conversations related to this moved me this past week… in New York,
someone mentions being at the Orlando Scrum Conference that Harrison
facilitated and how deeply it changed her...3 years later. In Paris, I meet
someone for the first time. She is a facilitator who admits to being a
lurker on the OS list, not comfortable in posting.   I urge her to post
expressing how we are missing her wonderful points of view. We talk about
it a bit more; I admit my unease feeling I am posting too much.  She reacts
as I did: please continue to post.

Then later at the Scrum conference, a seasoned Scrum coach admits feeling
stressed writing and announcing a topic at the opening circle. He felt that
way at the conference in London and again in Paris.  He created a topic and
many came to his great surprise and delight.

What does all this mean? Why do we hold back? How similar we all are! What
would life be life if we lived by the law of 2 feet? Will more information,
more tools, more busy…ness, more precision bring more joy, happiness and
high performance. And where does love fit in, in all of this. How is it
that I can feel such love now for so many?  And when that feeling happens,
it seems that trust emerges and that we have all that we need: to do that
which needs to be done, perfectly imperfect in emergence, like riding a
wave.

Oh gosh… “one less thing to do” is easier said than done!

Suzanne

Suzanne Daigle
NuFocus Strategic Group
7159 Victoria Circle