[OSList] Open Space in schools

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Sep 23 10:12:41 PDT 2013

Jamie - in my experience, any speeches (longer than 'thanks for coming, we're so excited, here's your facilitator let's get to work')

In saying this - I know there are also cultural and regional traditions. However, having people speak too much at the start…

- starts putting the body to rest - when actually in Open Space we want active, breathing, energy-to-jump-into-the-center-with-topics
- sets in some people's heads a pre-determined thought, thus reducing the possibility for different, emergent, outlier, diverse thinking as inspired by the theme question
- speeches are oh-so-often only listened to by the person giving that speech ;o) - other people are in their heads going 'what's this circle?' 'what shall I propose as a topic?' 'how do I feel?' 'what is this going to be like?'
- even if the speaker is charismatic, is not behind a podium, is physical and walking that circle - people listening are still shifting into receiving thought rather than creating / inviting / experiencing it.
- takes time away from actually getting to the work at hand. The more time for dialogue and interchange, the richer, the deeper the thoughts and conversations, and the more time given to participants to start noticing common threads and linkages across the day.

The other thing is that for any kind of facilitation, I would not name boundaries or constraints. It sets peoples' minds in the framework of boundaries and constraints - rather than opportunities and possibilities.
Like 'think outside the box' - you are still thinking…of the box! when / because someone says that.

If there is anything that is 'off the table' such as 'we are all here to think of things that do not cost money' simply say that in your beautifully constructed theme question. The theme is the task, and the thing that invites topics. So if the theme included '…with zero money but with other amazing shared resources…' If you have to. Often you do not have to say anything is 'off the plate' - you just open by making sure the participants know whether they are advisory or decisionary in this meeting. Ideas where someone originally assumed there was money (let's say that is one of the boundaries) can always be revisited for 'what other kinds of existing resources do  we have to help this amazing breakthrough idea happen?' in another part of the meeting, after the meeting, however the meeting is designed.

So I also encourage - if anything more than a moment must be said - to do it the evening before, perhaps.  Separate it from the Open Space. Say less. Invite more. Let them jump into that space!

Lisa