[OSList] Open Space with Agile: Failure patterns

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sun Sep 22 09:45:52 PDT 2013

Dan wrote: "I've learned that there are actually more ways to fail with Open
Space in Agile adoptions than there are ways to succeed. There are many ways
to stumble when trying this."

Actually, Dan - I am not at all surprised. I learned a long time ago that
Open Space is a terrible way to introduce some new process, and especially
to assure "buy in." Typically, problems arise because folks take Open Space
seriously. Instead of buying into the proposed process, they begin to invent
their own! Somewhere I wrote that OS was a great way to design a new
accounting system, but a horrible way to "implement" it.

And just to be contrarian... I wonder whether the failure is a function of
Open Space or Agile (and/or the SCRUM flavor of Agile)? As I think we have
come to understand, Open Space is a total scam if people mistake it for some
process we invented or "do." It is simply an invitation to be what we always
have been - self organizing. The process itself (SO) has been around for
some time, and apparently has done quite well, witness the fact that we,
along with all the rest of the Cosmos are here and seemingly functional. In
a "face off" between a well functioning self-organizing system and any
process we might have designed to create the system, install the system, or
enhance the system - the designed process doesn't have a chance. The reason
is simple. No matter how wise, careful, diligent or skillful we may be - our
creation is inevitably clunky. We may get the big blocks right, even some of
the finer points, but at the end of the day we always miss the nuances - and
as always, the devil is in the details. Put somewhat differently, our
designed processes are always "averages" of what we think the process should
look like. And "averages" do not exist anywhere in nature. To push an
"average" on a natural system is always to make it function at some
sub-optimal level, and usually to kill it.

So maybe the order of precedence should go the other way? Use Agile to
introduce Open Space, and then abolish Agile. Or, if you like ...
Self-Organization is the natural agility. It doesn't get any better than
that. Or something

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to: